News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

railroad or railway

Started by SteamGene, April 07, 2007, 01:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

Gene,

After a closer examination of that 1956 list, it appears that the least popular coporate use is the one word term Railroad, followed next by Railway and then Rail Road being most popular.

Railroad, as a one word term, seems to have become the generic term for all rail systems, at least in North America. Only a few of the companies call themselves that offically. Most are Rail Roads and many are Railways.

If you would like a copy of that 1956 list, contact me off board.

Sheldon

jesse

I find the conflict in names to be most interesting.  My first love and career was that of a flyer....I have only recently become involved with model railroading as a hobby.

We in the field of aviation have the same conflict.  Is it Airlines or Airways.  For example:  we have American Airlines, Continental Airlines, Delta Airlines, United Airlines.....but on the other hand, we have U.S. Airways, Republic Airways, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways etc.  It could go on and on, but I just wanted to point out that the Rail Industry is not alone in this.

Jesse
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

SteamGene

Thanks, Anoldrail.
Of course that concept runs afoul with C&O, N&W, and Southern!  I'm not sure about N&W or Southern rail, but I use code 100 to approximate C&O mainline rail.  The N&W Y-6b was heavy until you compare it to the C&O H-8! 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Seasaltchap

Gene : I think you create confusion with a false precedent.

Quote from: SteamGene on April 08, 2007, 06:32:17 PM
As I pointed out, the general public seems to attach "railroad" to all - even those interested do the same.  After all, it's MODEL RAILROADER, not MODEL RAILWAYER.  Gene

It is also RAILWAY MODELLER from Peco Publications for over 50 years.

What I am trying to work down to, is that there is another tribe that exists on the otherside of the hill, and their precedence might predate your own when setting the lexicon.

I do agree, "Railroad" is a typically American term.

May I please not have to go through an ordeal over this matter.

Regards
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

Interested in making friends on the site with similar interests.

John C

Canadian Pacific and Canadian National were both Railways.  I think most of the smaller ones in Canada are railways too.

SteamGene

Stewart, as Sheldon said, I'm looking at this purely from the persepective of a person living in the U.S.  I find it interesting that Britian uses "railway" almost exclusively.  However there doesn't seem to be any real systematic employment of of "railway" vs "railroad" in the U.S. as far as when the rail company was formed.  For instance, the B&O Rail Road was the oldest in the country, but the C&O Railway is a product of the 1880s. 
I'm really just looking for more U.S./Canadian "railways" and where they are.  Like I said, the general public AND the modelers seem to use "railroad" as a generic.  As a really good example, I should have named my model the Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railway, but I didn't.   It's a railroad.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Seasaltchap

"As a really good example, I should have named my model the Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railway, but I didn't.   It's a railroad."

Gene :   In deciding this, was it only as a purist to practice?

I am looking at this thread as an opportunity to explore the origins of the usage. Early track had the flange on the rail, and not on the wheels; maybe this is the root of flat treads running on a railroad - because they could equally also run on a normal road.

Regards
Phoenix AZ: OO enthusiast modelling GWR 1895-1939, Box Station Wiltshire; S&DJR Writhington Colliery, Nr. Radstock.

SteamGene

Stewart,
I wasn't thinking when I named the company and early decals have the "Tipee RR" name on it.  Since it's based on the C&O/Southern, both of which are "railways" and it dates to post War Between the States Virginia, "railway" would be the most logical.  But I'll stick with "railroad." 
IIRC, the flanged rails did not last long.   I think I remember that the original wheel flanges were on both sides. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Seasaltchap

Gene : I think much of the learning from this thread is confirmed in the following Wikipedia pages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_terminology

The way the name changes are made are also borne out.

The articles also note that Railway appears prefered in the English speaking World, whereas Railroad is typically American.

Regards

SteamGene

Stewart,
I think I speak English.  Whist thou well, I kennst the mother tongue when she was a but a lass.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Paul M.

The Texas & Pacific called itself a railway, not a railroad.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

Atlantic Central

As this thread so aptly demonstrates, two nations divided by a common language!

But I forget, we are just a "rabble" acording to Cornwalis.

Sheldon

I have historical info. Ownership , Deeds, Name changes, etc . for all R.R.s in Allegan Co. Mi. From begining to end , Rail Road, Railroad, Railway. are used at different times , no ryme or reason, just that was the name at the time.

Seasaltchap

#94 : Your time has come: where have you been?

I agree.

Regards

Atlantic Central

Seems to me I have been saying pretty much the same thing as #94 from the very beginning. I even put forth some evidence, but God knows there was no way Stewart would agree with anything I said.

Stewart, would you like a copy of the 1956 AAR list of companies and reporting marks? Oh, I forgot, it is more important what they called some first experiment in 1807 or what ever.

Sheldon