News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Built my first kit rolling stock

Started by BestSnowman, August 08, 2009, 09:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BestSnowman

I was a my LHS... well not really local, was an hour drive away but was the nearest one with a good selection of train gear. My intent was to pick up some kadee couplers for converting some of my old stock to knuckle couplers. I was browsing around and found a good selection of Athearn Blue Box kits.

Since my budget didn't allow me to clean them out I settled on a DMIR caboose. This is the first kit I've assembled and have to say it was pretty fun. It sure is nice to brin ghome a ready to run but there is just something satisfying about the challange of assembling everything.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

simkon

Yeah, I always liked kits better, it is the satisfaction you get from building them yourself. My one LHS had a ton of kits, including a lot of Athearn, and in 1 day the store owner said he sold a little over 200 Athearn, about 60 Bower, 50 Roundhouse, & a couple Proto rolling stock kits to 1 guy. He must of had pretty deep pockets, because at say $8.00 a kit, so that would be around $2500 worth of kits. Geez, he sure cleaned him out. I went that day to buy some 89' boxcars only to find he sold all 5 of them in one shot. I guess that's what I get for waiting. Now he only has about 15-20 Athearn kits left, but there is always my other LHS, who still has plenty (just not 89' boxcars).

BestSnowman

I can't tell if Athearn is still making kits based on their website (most of them appear to have been discontinued for quite a long time) but they are nice kits. I do hope they continue making them.

I discovered some of the rolling stock I had as a kid was actually Athearn kits (most likely originally my dad's) and it (for the most part) has lasted over 20 years and has been the easiest to upgrade for knuckle couplers.

Maybe Bachmann could get into the kit business (beyond supplying the couplers that were in the Athearn kit I got)
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

pdlethbridge

If you want a good kit that's a challenge, try getting a wooden ambroid kit off of ebay.

simkon

Athearn kind of still makes kits, because occasionally they will have special runs of a couple different kits. For example around 05 they made a limited quantity of Pacific Fruit Growers Express 86' flat cars. In 06, they made some gondolas and boxcars mostly and a few locos that were popular. But there are not are being made currently, but there may be a limited amount in the future (depending on demand), such as 1 or 2 cars or a loco, but that would be about it.

BestSnowman

Quote from: pdlethbridge on August 08, 2009, 09:52:06 PM
If you want a good kit that's a challenge, try getting a wooden ambroid kit off of ebay.

Those actually do look like a lot of fun I might have to pick up a couple this winter for some "snowed-in" projects.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

BestSnowman

Quote from: simkon on August 08, 2009, 10:02:51 PM
Athearn kind of still makes kits, because occasionally they will have special runs of a couple different kits. For example around 05 they made a limited quantity of Pacific Fruit Growers Express 86' flat cars. In 06, they made some gondolas and boxcars mostly and a few locos that were popular. But there are not are being made currently, but there may be a limited amount in the future (depending on demand), such as 1 or 2 cars or a loco, but that would be about it.

I have a feeling that demand for kits is down quite a bit from what it used to be. I can't blame them for reducing kit production to account for demand but it would be nice to see a wider variety of kits.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

pdlethbridge

you build one of those Ambroid kits and you'll be patting yourself on the back for months ;D

BestSnowman

Quote from: pdlethbridge on August 08, 2009, 11:24:33 PM
you build one of those Ambroid kits and you'll be patting yourself on the back for months ;D

It does appear so, but the winters in Minnesota can be long and cold... looks like one of those my last me a while!
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

simkon

I checked and currently there are 260 Athearn freight car kits available and in stock.  Of those most were announced in 2001. The following kits I guess are the most recent, here's some details:
HO KIT 50' Box, C&O Announced Early 2009 Retail Price: $9.00 (Limited Run, No Longer in stock, but the RTR is still in stock)
HO KIT 40' AAR Box, EJ&E (2 colors available) Announced Late 2008 Retail Price: $8.75 (Limited Run, No Longer in Stock, but older run still in stock)
3 passenger cars are still in stock...72' Diner, Observation & RPO all undecorated
3 F7B kits are still in stock as of a month ago
So, I guess the they made 1 new 50' Boxcar kit this year and that's it, and 2 new 40' Boxcar kits at the end of 2008.

CNE Runner

Having built numerous rolling stock kits over the years, I would suggest that you consider either an Accurail or Branchline Yardmaster kit. The detail and fit is considerably better than the Athearn offerings. If you want a greater challenge you could step up to a Branchline Blueprint Series kit (you have to install all the brake line goodies). All these kits are still plastic based and turn out a good model. I try to avoid Athearn kits because the car weight is visible on the bottom of the car (although painting it makes it virtually invisible). If it is wooden kits you are after, try LaBelle or, as pdlethbridge said, an old Ambroid kit.

To forestall unnecessary frustration, I would start with simple plastic kits (which it appears you have) and move up to progressively harder ones as your skill level improves. Eventually you can see if a laser cut craftsman kit is your niche. There are lots of offerings out there...all it takes is time, commitment, and money.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

jbsmith

Athearn Blue Box kits! Love them!  Save big $$$.
Got many of them.
Easy to assemble,only need a screwdriver,and only takes about 10min if that.

Accurail-
Good kits too, Take only a little bit longer to build, need very little glue.
IF it is a boxcar,stock car or reefer car,,i have found that it is easier to
attach the floor to the top cover part first, Then add the couplers,,trucks
go on last.

jbsmith

Proto 1000  and Branchline
These are hardcore kits.
LOTS of small parts. Delicate small parts. Very easy to break when trying
to remove them from the runner [sprue] small parts.
THEN comes the fun fun fun part.
Trying to get those small parts to fit into dang near MICROSCOPIC HOLES!

I tend to stay away from these.
Better to just shell out the extra $$ for the RTRs.

But then again,,Some people Like these models!

Woody Elmore

La Belle is making wooden kits and Ye Olde Huff n Puff has numerous HO kits - many of them are the old Main Line kits.

I used to like MDC/roundhouse  kits - they were similar to Athearn's but had a nice die cast frame.

Chris350

Quote from: jbsmith on August 09, 2009, 01:40:39 PM
Proto 1000  and Branchline
These are hardcore kits.
LOTS of small parts. Delicate small parts. Very easy to break when trying
to remove them from the runner [sprue] small parts.
THEN comes the fun fun fun part.
Trying to get those small parts to fit into dang near MICROSCOPIC HOLES!

I tend to stay away from these.
Better to just shell out the extra $$ for the RTRs.

But then again,,Some people Like these models!
want to see "hardcore"?  Take a look at Red Caboose.  Really well detailed.  It's hard to see though because the sticker price will leave you blind.  If you can find em old stock they are a good buy, but new...meh.  Intermountain markets them now.  I found three SP drop bottom gon's at a good price earlier this summer.   I'm a huge fan of Accurail, especially since their renumber decals are so easy to use.   No fooling around to figure out f you already have a certain road number, just it and re-decal it.  I've said it else where I will not shell out for RTR unless it's something I simply cannot get in anyother form.  For simplicity sake, the Bluebox are hard to beat and in a large consist they have all the detail one really needs.  OK off to work on the switching layout now.
Cheers, Chris