News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Built my first kit rolling stock

Started by BestSnowman, August 08, 2009, 09:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris350

Quote from: simkon on August 10, 2009, 09:05:15 PM
The insulated side is non-conducting, the holes can be enlarged to ensure they roll freely and unobstructed, for better operation. There are holes on both sides of the trucks, and it doesn't matter which way you put the wheels in as long as one side is insulated, unless your running lighted passenger cars or other cars that have wipers to get power from the rails.
Yep sorry I wasn't clear, the truck isn't insulated, it's one wheel on the axel.  I was thinking as far as putting them all on the same side, of limiting shorts over switches and the like...  A non issue with plastic trucks, but what about metal ones?  I'm also thinking of metal trucks on say an old style MDC kit with the metal chassis.  Am I over thinking this?  It's been known to happen :-\

CNE Runner

It doesn't really matter whether or not your metal wheel sets have plastic axles or not. I always roll a wheel set on a piece of glass to check the axle alignment (I've only found a problem once). Secondly I check the wheel to wheel separation using an NMRA gauge.

Regarding the changing of bolsters: I generally use the bolsters supplied with the kit and 'tune' them with the Micro Mark truck tuner. I do have to admit that I like the look of Kadee sprung trucks (I am not convinced that they ride any better than non-sprung units).

Intermountain trucks are outstanding; although your track better be in gauge - all over the layout - to use the scale wheels as they will not tolerate sloppy clearances.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ebtnut

In general, trucks with working springs should operate a little better becuase the springs allow some equalization, i.e., each sideframe can rock a bit, making it easier to keep the wheels on the rails over minor rough track.  Kadee trucks have metal wheels and Delrin axles, so there is no issue there with possible shorts.  Trucks with metal wheels, axles and sideframes are susceptible to shorts, so make sure the insulated wheels are on the same side of the truck.  If you also happen to have a metal underframe, then all of the insulated wheels need to be on the same side as well.  In the olden days, when virtually EVERYTHING was metal, you could get a short between cars if the insulated wheels on one car were opposite the wheels on the other coupled car.