News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Radius Restrictions?

Started by LNER, August 10, 2009, 04:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LNER

I'm just wondering, if any of the engines in the range cannot run on 15" radius track?

Hark, The Red Coaches! Hark Duck! Hark Donlad & Douglas! Aye!

ThomasFan247

I'm thinking Henry, Gordon, and Spencer. Possibly James, Edward, or Emily, but probably not.  ;)

alex wittman

all i know is that Percy is the only one who can get around the 15" radius and any engine that's a 0-6-0 or more than they can't.

LNER

Thanks  :)

But Alex are you sure about only Percy being  able to get around a 15" radius - I would've thoguht Thomas at least, could go on a 15" radius as well as Edward and James. But I could be totally wrong  :P

alex wittman

well edward might be possible but james is a 2-6-0 locomotive and with 4-4-0 or 0-4-0 they can possibly go round 15 radius

TTTE Wikia

The Bachmann catalog says that only Thomas, Percy, Toby, Mavis, and Salty can run on 15'' curves. If Duck is released I'm sure he will be able to too. I'm not to sure about Wiff though.
Visit the Thomas and Friends Wikia!

shining time

hey i have a question to but not with the 15" radius mine what is the lengths of  coach will run on 18" radius curves, lengths are 242mm, and 237mm, and 100mm
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

LNER

I'm almost certain all of them could, but definitley no doubt about about 10cm (Annie & Clarabel) ones.

shining time

thanks because they are GWR hornby coaches and i had knowbody else to ask :)
long live the GWR, LNER, and the narrow gauge railways

trainguy111

If you ask me, the radius on HO is different from O scale. For example: O-36 means a 36 inch diamiter.

Len

Quote from: trainguy111 on November 30, 2009, 05:01:28 PM
If you ask me, the radius on HO is different from O scale. For example: O-36 means a 36 inch diamiter.

The terminology is different, but they are the same. O-gauge O36 = 36in diameter circle, HO scale 18in radius = 36in diameter circle.

The difference is the width of the O-gauge track limits the space available in the same space, e.g., 4' x 8', for sidings, scenery, and buildings compared to HO scale track.

I've seen basic O-gauge layouts built with Lionel Fas-Track using track plans from the Atlas track plan books that only used 18in radius curves and switches.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

trainguy111

That makes sense because HO is half of O scale.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Alright:
For 15" radius, Thomas can do it. The Hornby Thomas can do it, even. So your 0-6-0s will be fine. The express coaches can do it, although for high speed I am unsure. Edward can do it. James and Emily, I cannot say. Gordon and Henry, only if they're going painfully slow, just barely creeping along. You might be able to run them with trains, but probably not. Spencer is straight out.
At 18" radius, everybody's fine.