Where can I find a good source of smaller shelf track plans?

Started by CNE Runner, August 13, 2009, 03:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

I am in the planning phase of a new layout and wanted to spend an adequate amount of time 'seeing what is out there' least I reinvent the wheel. My meager collection of track plan books had nothing to offer. With this in mind, I went to a hobby shop and looked over their offerings. The shock was that most of these books were 'recycled' issues that have been out for years! I have an Atlas track plan book that was first published in 1969 and has been republished several times (usually - although not always with updated pictures).

A cursory search of the Internet yielded little of value and the MR track plan database was heavily weighted on the room-sized layout. I am familiar with Carl Arendt's website ('love it); but wasn't able to find anything there either. Any suggestions (beyond hiring someone to design a layout for me)? I was attracted to the Whatsup Dock Co. offering in the March 2009 Model Railroader - although that plan would require extensive modification (which is OK; unless there is something better out there).

I should mention that I am looking at an 'L-shaped' layout that measures 6'x 8'x 24". My major interest is in switching; so continuous running is not required nor desired.

Thanks,

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Paul M.

Have you tried the Atlas track plan designer Freeware download? It can help you with designing a track plan, although some aspects of it are non-intuitive.

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

CNE Runner

Good Afternoon Paul - Actually I use AnyRail which is far superior to most of the other average modeler track planning programs (it has libraries for most brands of track). I was hoping I could find an existing track plan - and either use it or modify it to my needs. Between patients, I did the 'Google thing' and viewed over 300 websites (out of a possible 31,000 + available). Honestly, I think I have given up on an Internet search engine for this purpose (time invested vs payout).

I am still enamored with the Whatsup Dock Co. - although it will have to be heavily modified (which means it isn't the same plan). My thought was that maybe someone out there in 'Bachmann Land' had some better suggestions. I do appreciate your response.

Ray

RAM

ebtbob

CNE,

Model Railroader books has a How-To Guide called Shelf Layouts for model railroads,  written by Iain Rice,  a well known track plan designer for layouts large and small.   I have at least three books by him and find his methods and plans very,  very helpful
       The ISBN # is 978-0-89024-690-0 and the book sells for $19.95.   It is published by Kalmback books.   www.KalmbachBooks.com

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Atlantic Central

You could go on the Model Railroader web site, do search on the magazine index, then someone (like myself) who has complete or nearly complete collections of Model Railroader could lookup and copy any relevent articles or plans for you.

I have MR complete from about 1957 and Craftsman off and on but well represented in the same period.

Or, using the wealth of info out there, design your own.

I am a trained draftsman, both in traditional drafting and CADD. I have yet to see any advantage to any kind of CADD program for designing model train layouts.

Sheldon

Joe Satnik

Ray,

Current issue: Classic Toy Trains - Sept. 2009

PLAN A POINT-TO-POINT LAYOUT
This wall-hugging L-shaped O gauge* layout is designed for maximum switching action.
by John Penca

(*I call it 3-rail-O)

Not HO, but it may give you some good ideas, and it should shrink well. 

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

CNE Runner

Excellent suggestions...keep 'em coming!

Pdlethbridge: I am a frequent 'visitor' to the Shunting Puzzle website and derived my current layout from the Peliz Bay design (unfortunately, I am in the process of dismantling this effort). I am also a disciple of Carl Arendt and very frequently visit his excellent site for information, enjoyment and inspiration.

Sheldon: I have already thoroughly checked the MR website - to no avail with the exception of the present front runner...the Whatsup Dock Co. This design, which features handlaid track/turnouts, would have to be extensively redesigned. I agree that a CADD program, no matter how sophisticated, can not 'do all the legwork' for one. AnyRail is a free program (although I elected to pay the fee and release the entire package) that is fairly intuitive. The AnyRail effort demonstrated that the Whatsup Dock Co.: 1) doesn't work as pictured in MR [...because I later found out that non standard turnouts were used, and 2) would not fit in the space the author used [again, because of the custom nature of the trackwork]. I do use AnyRail to modify existing plans to give me a better idea of what either works or is possible.

Joe, I will have to get myself to a good magazine retailer and check out the latest issue of CTT. You have captured my interest when you said; "...layout is designed for maximum switching action." Generally I simply reduce the plan by 50% to arrive at measurements approximating HO (although I read on another post from this forum that the figure is closer to 30%). Either way, I will check it out as I am a firm believer of doing my homework BEFORE heating up the credit card.

Not to forget RAM's excellent suggestion of trying your local library: I live in a small, rural town in Alabama. Our local library leaves a lot to be desired (I had better stop after that comment). Some time ago I offered to donate a large, bound, collection of Model Railroader, Classic Toy Trains, and Garden Railways to the library...I was told; "We don't have room for those in our collection." I ended up donating the materials to a library in Florida - who jumped at the chance to get such a valuable reference source. Sad really.

Thanks everyone,
Ray

Atlantic Central

Ray,

I was not refering to plans published on the web site. I don't think all the plans that have appeared in MR in 50-60 years are on available on the web site.

The Index of Magazines allows for the searching of all past MR issues and a large number of other publications as well. BUT, then you must have or find the magazine in question.

Sheldon

CNE Runner

Oh, OK Sheldon...I see what you are talking about. The current database on MR's website only goes back to something like 2003. Your idea is a good one.

Ray

Ohmisterporter

Have you seen the Lance Mindheim shelf layout East Rail? You may find some inspiration here.

http://www.lancemindheim.com/

Geoff.

CNE Runner

Thanks for the suggested website Goeff. That featured layout is too large for the space I have been given (it can't be any larger than an 'L' measuring 4'x 12'). The second leg of the Miami layout was 9' which would cross the doorway. That, in itself, wouldn't be a problem if the room were dedicated to 'trains only' - unfortunately that isn't the case.

I sincerely appreciate your time in helping me research a viable (for me) layout plan.

Regards,
Ray

buzz

Hi Ray
What you really need to do is check out the Ian Rice (spelling) publication
just put out by Kalmbach.
Ian Rice is the past master of the small layout and very well known in the UK model circles for just that.
Also have a look at some of the UK publications you will not find the basement Empires so beloved by the US publications they may provide some inspiration for you.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but its never finished