Re-wiring Williams Power units parellel - series?

Started by steam1941, August 15, 2009, 12:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steam1941

In OGR and CTT I have read where operators have done this to have the unit start up in Neutral Forward  then reverse also the unit speed of the unit is slowed down?
Before I do this procedure, what is Williams by Bachman's thought?
And do you have instructions available to do this?

Jerry Matsick

3rail

Jerry,

The neutral mod is in the Frequently ask question section.

The series mod is notso here is how to do it:

On a dual motored loco.

• Cut the blue wire to one motor about half way between the motor and the reverse board.  Tape up the end that connects to the reverse board.

• On the opposite motor cut the yellow wire about half way between the motor and the reverse board.  Tape up the end that connects to the reverse board.

• Now connect the blue wire from the first motor to the yellow wire from the second.

• Either solder the connection or use a wire nut.

• Insulate any bare connections

• Reassemble the loco.

Regards,
3rail

CandO

Hello Steam1941-
I have not done the mod to start in neutral(I plan to this winter) but, I have done the series mod on both of my Williams by Bachmann.

It is very easy to do. Many people on OGR forum say you will loose top speed. They are correct but, your train will still be very fast. Having the ultra slow speed coming in and out of a station is better(to me anyway).

Here is a link to my photobucket album where I show step by step how to do the mod on my C&O E7. I did it without cutting the wires. I pulled them out of the wire connectors and taped them. Again, it is very easy.

http://s574.photobucket.com/albums/ss182/SunfireGT1996/Series%20Wiring%20WBB%20E7/
Just click on each picture and I supplied directions for that step underneath.

Ron Sims

You will indeed lose top speed, but there can be another drawback. If your brick, or transformer does not put out at least 20 volts you may be unhappy with just how much speed you will lose. With my Z-1000 which puts out only about 17.00 actuall volts at top speed my Williams engine was too slow. I switched my engine back to original wiring.
Ron

EIS

Quote from: Ron Sims on September 17, 2009, 07:27:07 PM
You will indeed lose top speed, but there can be another drawback. If your brick, or transformer does not put out at least 20 volts you may be unhappy with just how much speed you will lose. With my Z-1000 which puts out only about 17.00 actual volts at top speed my Williams engine was too slow. I switched my engine back to original wiring.
Ron
I am surprised at your loss of speed.  I re-wired my semi-scale GG1 to series wiring and it is still plenty fast.  I limit the top voltage to about 12 VAC to prevent the engine from launching on my 48" diameter curves.  Slow speed operation is much improved.  Are you sure that both motors were operating?

Check the voltage that you are running at max speed with your engine wired in parallel.  If the voltage is less then 8 VAC, then your engine should run at that same speed at 16 VAC with the motors wired in series and a 17 VAC transformer will work just fine.

Earl