News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Forney struck dumb ??

Started by nosamnod, April 08, 2007, 07:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nosamnod

Hi gang,

It's been a while since I posted anything - been too busy lately layout building / laying track.

Can anyone throw any light on this?

I bought 3 'noisy' Forneys, have never run any of them other than a few times up and down a straight length of test track, as I am only just getting round to permenent track laying on my new layout.

So none have run for more than about 20 minutes in total.

However, one of them has just been struck dumb - unexpectedly and instantly - without warning.

One minute - absolutely fine, the next, total silence.

Everythng else is working fine - power, headlight, etc. I've tried resetting the decoder (successfully) - but it's made no difference ...silll no sound.

It does give the occasional strangled moan for just a millisecond or so if I try to blow the whistle after first switching on - so it's not a blown speaker.....but that's as far as it gets.

I do have to say that I'm a bit teed-off at having a loco struck dumb after little or no use.

Anyone got any bright ideas as to what the problem could be - or has anyone else had this happen?  It's got me totally mystified (and not a little annoyed - after all, I couldbuy a dumb one for a lot less money).

ebtbob

Good Morning,

Only thing I could suggest is that you possibly hit function 8 key,  turning the sould off.  Other than that,  no ideas.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

morrisf

Yup...make sure F8 is not set to "sound off."

It may be possible that the speaker became disconnected, somehow. Although, if you get a bit of a peep at startup, that may not be the trouble.

You can also try setting CV30 to "2" and reset the decoder to factory settings. If that restores the sound, then you can reprogram the addres.

You may need a program track booster, like the SoundTraxx PTB-100, to make everything work correctly.

Morris

nosamnod

Sorry Guys - Have obviously tried all those things first.

Have reset decoder & checked & double checked all mute options - nothing to do with the DCC

.....it's definitely a fault somewhere on the loco.

morrisf

Maybe you could try running it on straight/analog DC and see if it makes sound. It would at least tell you if the sound system works at all.

Please let us know.

Morris

David(UK)

Come on now, stop faffing about  :D
Remove the four screws from under the tender - lift off tender shell and look to see if any wires are broken ( or making a bad connection) off either of the cct boards or connections to the speaker!
If you don't find any, then return it to those nice people at Bachmann for a replacement!
Regards
David(UK)
Rail Baron of Leeds

C.P.R.R. Manager

If it's at all a possibility for you, I would suggest you call the service department at Bachmann.

nosamnod

Problem found - fault speaker - confirmed.

Have tried other speakers in my stock, all work fine. 

Problem is, I don't have one the right size, I am not ocnfident of Bachmann UK having any !!