Golden Classic Series Limited Edition Pennsy 4-6-0 #9660

Started by gtrees, August 31, 2009, 11:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrees

Set purchased mid 1990's possibly 1995 - Black with gray smoke box, red window frame and red doors on cab - plastic side rods gold striping on engine and tender along with 2 passenger cars.  Looking for manual or parts diagram and parts list.  engine ballast front mount broken and ballast not secure, a small brass spring about 3/8 inch long and diameter of ball point pen spring, fell out of engine and I have no idea where it goes.  What type of lubricant should be used on drive train plastic gears?   

Loco Bill

I don't have a diagram, but this may help a little. 

Taking A Big Hauler Apart
The Big Hauler is designed to be cheap to manufacture so its fairly easy to put together and therefore, it is easy to take apart.
·   The Bottom Side
o   Prop the engine on two scraps of wood under the cab roof so that it also rests on its smokestack. This prevents the whistle and dynamo exhaust from being damaged.
o   The bottom cover comes off with four screws down the center line of the bottom cover. Remove all four screws
o   Pry out the pilot support rods from the sides of the smoke box.
o   Carefully lift off the bottom cover and place it sideways in front of the cylinder saddle.
o   Put the long screw back in the middle of the cylinder saddle so that it helps hold the saddle in place.
o   Do your work inside
o   Reassemble in the reverse order. Be very careful not to pinch the wires to the lead truck when you reinstall the cover. Also watch for the hook at the rear as it tends to flop to the side and when in that position it makes getting the cover back on difficult.
·   The Top Side
o   Pry the pilot support rods from the sides of the smoke box
o   Remove two screws under the cab
o   Remove two screws from the sides of the boiler near the lower center of the boiler
o   Remove the long screw under the cylinder saddle
o   Remove four screws from under the air tanks. The tanks will fall off.
o   Carefully lift the shell off. Be careful about the wires to the smoke unit and headlight.
o   Do your stuff
o   While you're in there, glue 1 or 2 lbs of lead on top of the cast iron weight. Note that extra weight will add capability to pull more cars, which means that you can make the motor work harder, which means that the motor will run hotter. If you haven't reinforced the motor mounts, adding weight WILL result in rapid failure of the engine.
o   Reassemble in opposite order.

I don't remember where I got it tho
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

Joe Satnik

Could the spring belong to an electrical power pickup ? 

I'm thinking of the kind that press a BB size ball bearing into the back of the driver wheel...
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.