When did you see your very first train?

Started by KCS-221987, August 24, 2009, 03:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NarrowMinded

That's a hard question to answer,One of my uncles was a railway cop and another Great Uncle was granted a patent in 1914 for the automatic railway safety switch, so I remember having interest from hearing stories at a young age, but I can tell you with certainty when  I fell In love with steam locomotives, I was twelve years old and my parents took me to tour the freedom train, we rounded a corner and there sat the most beautiful Locomotive I had ever seen.

Need I say More?

NM

Joe323

I supose the first train I ever saw was when my mom would take me int0 Manhattan on the old GG Subway from Queens.

traindriver101

i saw my first train when i was 2 years old in Ephrata, Washington

pipefitter

Trains were around in the landscape so I guess I saw them. But the first formal trip to see a train was in January 1953 when I was 3 1/2 years old. Dad took me to the Silver Spring MD train station to see the train carrying the Trumans home to Missouri after Dwight Eisenhower's inauguration. Truman was graciously granted the use of the presidential train car with the open rear platform, the same one he had used campaigning when he was president. Silver Spring is the first stop west of Washington DC on the B&O Metropolitan Branch between DC and Point Of Rocks MD where it joins B&O's "Old Main Line" via the Patapsco river valley from Baltimore for points west. The train stopped at the station and former president Truman made a short speech from the platform to the large gathered crowd. I've read that this practice was carried out during the entire trip. A whistle stop farewell if you will. Very young, I didn't remember the event very well.

Robert
Grew up next to B&O's Metropolitan Branch - Silver Spring Maryland

ceilingtrain

I was 5 years old my grandfather worked on the the new york central railroad down town cleveland, he let me climb aboard an engine and blow the whistle and ring the bell.