When, if ever, will there be parts for freight cars available?

Started by Maine 2 Foot, February 09, 2007, 03:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maine 2 Foot

I have a few busted ladders and details that i want to fix on some freight cars, and I also found my 2-8-0 has the uncouple lever mounts broken. What are the chances of a parts supply happening in the future, Bachmann?

Vince

the Bach-man

Dear Vince,
We generally don't stock detail parts, but the service department will provide them when damaged equipment makes them available.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Joker

Will it be possible to purchase wheel sets in the future? Specifically the sets used on the 2-bay hoppers. These wheelsets just happen to work nicely in On3 trucks.

Jim Goodridge

I for one would love to have parts available.  Things like brake wheels, ladders, turnbuckles, queen posts, and brake cylinders.  These would be really useful for scratchbuilding.  I know that these are all available from other manufacturers, notably Grandt Line, but by the time I source them and get them shipped here they just cost too much. 
Best
Jim

gardenrail

I can see a definite advantage, both to Bachmann and the modeller to have 'grab bags' of parts in the various scales, just like the Grandt Line Door and Window ones. They could even be sold by weight. Just need a set of kitchen scales; a few zip lock bags and  a large heap of these 'spare bits and pieces.   

;D ;D ;D

0n30nutz

In my experience over the past 25 yers or so, it is very difficult for manufacturers to stock a complete inventory of parts for everything made. I have long used parts from companies such as Ozark Miniatures, Precision Scale Co., etc, for replacement and detailing my locos and rolling stock. You can also use damaged equipment, buy old pieces at train meets, or check out that 'bay' place for lists of used/older/damaged items....Happy Hunting...Howard ;D
If it ain't steam, it ain't...

gardenrail

Those suggestions would be fine for many, but when there's probably no more than two other people within 250 miles who've even heard of On30 and a well used Bachmann Porter can sell on the Oz eBay for well over $US70, then, sadly, they are not a real option.

glennk28

I don't know where you are, but I'd suggest you get a Grandt catalog, and develop a relationship with the Schwedler Bros. at Coronado. They will get things you need to you the fastest and cheapest way possible. I have been dealing with them for over 30 years.  gj

ebtbob

Joker,

As far as I know,  right the only way to get the wheel sets that come on the two bay hoppers is to buy the trucks which are available as a seperate item.  They are item # 29905  "On30" Trucks with WHEEL SETS VULCAN FREIGHT TRUCKS (1 pair/card).
      BTW......I am replacing many of my Bachmann cars with wheels from Kadee(#703 - On30 wheels) and NWSL.  If you need any of the originals,  let me know via email to ebtbob@verizon.net.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org