News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Fast Clock

Started by AVM, April 09, 2007, 12:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AVM

What is Fast Clock?  I can't find an explaination that gets to the core.
And what is it used for exactlly?

Hunt

Fast Clock usually used during model railroading operation sessions when timetables are used to move equipment. Think of it as scale time for distance.

Perhaps the info in this link may help you.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mrsvc/id27.html

glennk28

It is usually a clock that has been speeded up to give a frame of reference for timetable operations.  Frequently a speed of 10 actual minutes to a "scale hour" is used--making a 2 hour operating session represent 12 hours--or 5 min per hour making that 2-hour session represent a full 24 hours.  (at that speed, you don't need to modify the clock--just ignore the hour hand).

The 10-min hour works well since the hours of service laws limit operating personnel to 12 hours anynow.  A friend on whose layout I used to operate modified an electric alarm clock--2 hours for a 12-hour session which began at 7:00 am. The "alarm" was set for 6:00 pm--but instead of a buzzer, that started a motor-driven Variac that took ten minutes (one scale hour) to dim out the room lights, leaving only some blue bulbs to simulate moonlight--and making it difficult to see what we were doing, like reading car numbers.  Incentive to get the "day's work" done. It also activated circuits that turned building lights on and off.  gj

BillD53A

If you search the internet you will find a couple of free programs you can download into your computer, and they will display on your monitor.  They all have variable rates so you can choose the one you like best.  I had on and was using it to set up a timetable for my layout, when I decided I didnt want to play 'beats the clock' on my trainset.  One drawback is your computer has to be near your layout.

Paul M.

Quote from: glennk28 on April 19, 2007, 08:17:49 PM
It is usually a clock that has been speeded up to give a frame of reference for timetable operations.  Frequently a speed of 10 actual minutes to a "scale hour" is used--making a 2 hour operating session represent 12 hours--or 5 min per hour making that 2-hour session represent a full 24 hours.  (at that speed, you don't need to modify the clock--just ignore the hour hand).

The 10-min hour works well since the hours of service laws limit operating personnel to 12 hours anynow.  A friend on whose layout I used to operate modified an electric alarm clock--2 hours for a 12-hour session which began at 7:00 am. The "alarm" was set for 6:00 pm--but instead of a buzzer, that started a motor-driven Variac that took ten minutes (one scale hour) to dim out the room lights, leaving only some blue bulbs to simulate moonlight--and making it difficult to see what we were doing, like reading car numbers.  Incentive to get the "day's work" done. It also activated circuits that turned building lights on and off.  gj

Thanks for the information about the 5:1 scale clock. It's not hard to remove the hour hand on a clock, most of the time. Buy an old smallish clock at a garage sale and try unscrewing the plastic cover that protects the hands. If it's like the smaller, inexpensive clocks I've seen. Once the plastic cover is off, you can take off the hands of the clock. Take off the hour hand, re-attach the clear plastic cover to the face of the clock and Presto!... You have a 5:1 fast clock!

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific