News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consisting - comments?

Started by Kelly Beard, April 09, 2007, 07:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly Beard

A couple of days or so I received a Spectrum Santa Fe #5418.  I've coupled this with my vanilla Santa Fe #3502.  Both are DCC.  I eventually want to 1) weather these engines, 2) put together a massively long train and have 2-3 engines pulling the load.  My vanilla Santa Fe is faster than the Spectrum though!  So I guess the #3502, which I have in the reverse mode, is actually pushing the Spectrum.

I'm eBaying for another #5418.  I guess I'll eventually sell my #3502 for whatever change I can get for it.  If I do get another Spectrum, can I expect it to be more in line with the other Spectrum?

Also, am I really getting extra HP by consisting?  It looks way more cool piggybacking like that, but I want to get something from it too.

brad

The biggest problem with consisting different manufacturers loco's is gear ratios. 2 Spectrums will definitely be more compatible than two different loco's.

And yes, you are really getting more tractive effort from 2 or 3 loco's than from just one.  I pulled 94 cars behind 3 Consolidations, one  engine wouldn't have even budged that train.

And I agree it does rank up there on the cool scale 8) 8) 8) 8)

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Kelly Beard

Quote from: brad on April 09, 2007, 09:16:08 PM
The biggest problem with consisting different manufacturers loco's is gear ratios. 2 Spectrums will definitely be more compatible than two different loco's.

They're actually both Bachmanns, but the #3502 is a basic DCC model included with an EZ-Command controller.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=1454

I wasn't expecting it to be faster/stronger than a Spectrum.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/catalog/?function=detail&id=283

brad

My misunderstanding. Do they both have decoders of the same manufacture?. Could be a difference of speed tables. Even though they're both b-mann could have different motors or gearing. And the a loco will run different on DC when it has a decoder

brad
I drempt, I planned, I'm building

Jim Banner

An alternative would be to install a different decoder in your 3502, one that supports a speed table or at least CV's 2, 5 and 6 to set up a 3 point speed table.  There are a number of decoders available with these features for less than $20.  Of course, this presupposes that you have access to a DCC system capable of programming the necessary CV's.

Adding another locomotive deffinitely adds more tractive effort.  This can be pulling power, as you are wanting to use, or pushing power, using a pusher to help heavy trains up a grade.  You can even combine the two and put an extra locomotive or two in the middle of a train.  It helps if all locomotives run at the same speed, or at least close to the same speed, otherwise the locomotive that wants to run faster ends up with more of the load.  And for pushers or mid-train power, it helps if all the cars are up to full weight (1/2 ounce per inch plus 1 extra ounce.)
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.