News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Bachmann 0-6-0 tank engine

Started by CNE Runner, September 10, 2009, 10:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNE Runner

I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the new Bachmann 0-6-0 tank engine (since the last 2 Mantua tankers, bought on eBay, were junk). My question is: the website page lists the engine as DCC-equipped, while the description says the locomotive is "DCC ready". Mr. Bach Man, which is it?

The Bachmann listing can be viewed at:

No offense to the rest of you; but I need the answer from the Bach Man - not what you believe to be the facts.

Thanks,

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

RAM

You got to understand that the guy that wrote the description came from Washington DC.  DCC-equipped means just that, DC ready means that it is ready to install a decoder.  My guess is that it is DCC-equipped, but it is a good question for Mr Bach Man.

rich1998

i just looked. i see six 0-6-0t with dcc on board
lex

CNE Runner

Yes lex, and the Product Information (Features Included) list says: DCC ready. So again I ask: Which is it?

Ray

Jim Banner

The product information looks suspiciously like the old product information for the locomotive's pre DCC onboard days.  Do you think they might have copied and pasted without reading it?

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

CNE Runner

Hmmm Jim, you might just have a point there.

Ray

jerryl

I have to disagree. The original 0-6-0 was far from DCC ready ( I have one)   it should read DCC possible!   Jerry

rich1998

i see the problem

the link by the poster shows dcc on board dcc ready in small print and location DCC-Equipped Steam Locomotives

i have the loco and is ready to solder the wires for a decoder. mine is dcc ready remove two clips solder wires a

i used this guys idea http://www.digitrax.com/ftp/bachmann060t.pdf

good luck
lex

the Bach-man

Dear Ray,
It will be DCC Onboard. I think the cut-and-paste explanation is probably correct, but it will bw in there, never fear!
I'll mention the error!
Thanks!
the Bach-man

CNE Runner

OK...DCC Onboard. Thanks for getting back to me Mr. Bach Man. As I said previously, this looks like a nice locomotive - and would fit my needs well. Say, maybe Bachmann Trains could resurrect and improve the old Penn Line Davenport switcher? Just a thought as it is another really neat little locomotive (the Roundhouse EMD Model 40 'Critter' is also really nice; but has been discontinued and is very hard to find).

Thanks for this forum and your assistance.

Ray

renniks

Ray,

The ex Mantua 0-6-0 and 2-6-6-2 reissued by ModelPower are supposed to be updated (modernised) versions. Not having one, do not know how good they are. The ones you have off Ebay are probably originals.

Eric UK

CNE Runner

Eric - Well...yes and no. I purchased an older Mantua 0-6-0T on eBay which sounds like a coffee grinder when it runs. A couple of weeks ago, I purchased another Model Power/Mantua 0-6-0T that came with serious problems: the connecting rods on one side were detached (not a big deal) and the rear driver didn't sit on the rails (big problem). I took the body assembly off the frame and found that on the original Mantua models the axle bushings are made of brass. On the Model Power version those same bushings are plastic. Apparently the bushing on the rear driver is too thin - allowing the axle to 'float' upward. This results in a 'loping' motion when the locomotive goes down the test track...so much so that it frequently derailed when traveling in reverse. BTW: this was a new, never run locomotive. The honest seller has agreed to return my purchase money upon receipt...good guy.

I really wanted to keep my micro layout DC and the eagerly awaited Bachmann 0-9-0T is DCC equipped. The Roundhouse EMD Model 40 'Critter' is the locomotive I have been searching for and since Horizon Hobbies has discontinued its manufacture (in 2006), these engines are extremely difficult to find. C'est la vie!

Regards,
Ray

renniks

Ray,

Wonder if the model has been wrongly assembled and the 'thin' bearings should be on the center axle. Trying to copy the up market locos with sprung center axles.

Eric UK

Tim

Ray

You can get replacement brass bearings from "YardBird Trains".

http://www.yardbirdtrains.com/YBSMparts.htm

I just recently installed a "Tsunami" in a new Mamtua 2-6-6-2T
and it had brass bearings just like the original mantua's.

Tim Anders
Souderton, PA

CNE Runner

Tim - thanks for the website and I will include it in a letter I will put in the box when I send the locomotive back to the seller on Monday. Did you notice the plea for a Bachmann copy of the Penn Line Davenport?

Eric - as always you have lots of good ideas and suggestions...thanks. I do not want to dissemble the engine again as I am sending it back on Monday. I will also pass your suggestion to the seller.

Running the Monk's Island Brewery in DCC as opposed to DC isn't that big a deal as I have selectively used Peco Insufrog parts in the double slip switch and the crossing (these require one or more autoreverse circuits in DCC if they are Electrofrog). DC locomotives are a lot cheaper than DCC equipped units - and I was trying to keep the costs down. We will have to see what the holiday train shows have...I might luck into a Roundhouse EMD Model 40...hey, it could happen!

Ray