News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Bachmann 0-6-0 tank engine

Started by CNE Runner, September 10, 2009, 10:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlantic Central

Ray,

While the release of this loco with DCC is new, this is not a new product for Bachmann.

In fact it is a product that has been out for many years in a DC version. TrainWorld and others may still have DC versions at good prices. You may want to check Star Hobby in Annapolis, MD, and Peach Creek Shops in Larual, MD. both are big Bachmann dealers and may still have DC versions in stock.

And, if it is done like previous Spectrum DCC upgrades, the new one will include jumpers for easy removal of the decoder and conversion back to simple DC.

Sheldon

CNE Runner

Sheldon, thanks for the reply. I would really like to keep my micro/small layout DC as it simplifies some of the electrics and keeps the cost (of locomotives) down. I ordered the required double slip turnout and crossing, from a Peco supplier, in Insufrog as opposed to Electrofrog that all the other turnouts will be. Just the double slip (if Electrofrog) requires two automatic reversing circuits (and the crossing wants and additional one). Part of the beauty of micro/small layouts is adherence to the KISS principle. I have a DCC controller (MRC Prodigy Advanced) and can use it if I have to...'rather not though.

Thanks,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Atlantic Central

Ray,

As you likely know I'm a DC operator. I have long said that DCC is best for "crowded" medium sized layouts, or busy small ones, but often DC simpler for very large layouts and not so busy small ones.

On size does not fit all, control systems should be taylored to the desired operational objectives.

Sheldon

CNE Runner

Sheldon, you are so right. I do like DCC and will probably use it on the Monk's Island Brewery project in the future. The track plan is very busy and DCC allows me the option of using a second locomotive if needed. For the time being, I decided to purchase a Bachmann Plymouth switcher (DC) and will content myself with repainting, re-lettering, and adding detail parts to this inexpensive power unit. In the future, I will undoubtedly purchase a Bachmann Spectrum 0-6-0T and convert the layout to DCC. As it stands, I do not own a DC locomotive (only DCC) so the Plymouth will be used frequently. I like the fact that the Plymouth is all-wheel pickup and 4-wheel drive (no stalling on frogs). Here is the article that became my inspiration (my layout will only have two transfer tables instead of the three illustrated).

Regards,
Ray

gndboy

I have a DC version of the 0-6-0 tank switcher, and it is one sweet runner; just great for slow-speed switching, and small.  Many here may already know this, but I have found a #4 machine screw to be superior to the stock fastener for the couplers.  This is just a great little locomotive.

jonathan

Ray,

My layout is DC.  I have the DCC on board Spectrum 0-6-0T.  It runs fine on DC.  The decoder is hard wired, so it would be quite a chore to remove it.

You'll notice right away how tiny the locomotive is compared to say the Mantua or Rivarossi Tanker.

Mine was a little rough at first, but smoothed out after running it awhile.

The motor is likewise very small and the gear ratio is quite high.  Hence, you'll hear the motor all the time.  The RPMs are really up there.  I have pulled up to seven cars with it.  I'm sure that's not an issue on your micro layout.

The bulbs are buried somewhere in the frame.  There are clear plastic thingies (light conductors?) that transfer the lumens to the headlights.  Thus, the lights are a bit dim.

It will look very cute and fit right in on a smaller layout.

Hope you enjoy it!

Regards,

Jonathan

genetk44

Jonathan,
I also have 2 of the original Bachmann Spectrum 0-6-0 Saddletank DC locos and they are great little locos...straight out of the box. I just got 2 of the DCC ones today...complete junk >:(
They stop, start,stop,start... run rough, the wheels are out of quarter, the rods on one are bent...you would never know they are the same locos from the same manufacturer..... they run like some 1960s junk. Terrible quality control!

Gene

jward

Quote from: CNE Runner on September 12, 2009, 10:44:12 AM
Eric - Well...yes and no. I purchased an older Mantua 0-6-0T on eBay which sounds like a coffee grinder when it runs. A couple of weeks ago, I purchased another Model Power/Mantua 0-6-0T that came with serious problems: the connecting rods on one side were detached (not a big deal) and the rear driver didn't sit on the rails (big problem). I took the body assembly off the frame and found that on the original Mantua models the axle bushings are made of brass. On the Model Power version those same bushings are plastic. Apparently the bushing on the rear driver is too thin - allowing the axle to 'float' upward. This results in a 'loping' motion when the locomotive goes down the test track...so much so that it frequently derailed when traveling in reverse.

interesting. i bought one of those mantua 0-6-0 tankers several years ago which was new in box and came with dcc socket installed. it has exhibited the same problems. i have had it to several people and one hobby shop trying to get it fixed without success. if anybody has successfully resolved this problem, i'd love to know how.....in the meantime, no more mantua for me.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

Hey Jeff - Wow...I had forgotten I had even started this thread! I still have the Mantua 0-6-0T and have tried to sell it at numerous train shows for less than half of its purchase price. Since we have a reputation of fully disclosing any problems with the products we sell (if known); buyers have not taken the bait and I still have the little beastie.

Now that you have reminded me of this little guy, I think I will box it up and send it to Yardbird Trains for a complete rebuild. I hate to spend the bucks on a strictly DC locomotive; but I understand the later Mantua locomotives, such as this one, are easily convertable to DCC (Yardbird will know for sure).

I'm not sure I will run the Mantua much - as I have this love affair with my Bachmann Spectrum GE 45-Ton job. The other day (while the 45-tonner was having its engine # applied), I decided to do the day's switching with the Bachmann Plymouth...I had forgotten all the stalling and grinding that little guy does. To anybody reading this: There is a big difference between Bachmann 'standard' and the Spectrum line...it is well worth spending a little more to gain so much.

Regards,
Ray

Johnson Bar Jeff

The comments on the Model Power "Mantua Classic" 0-6-0T are distressing but not entirely surprising to me. I've gotten very suspicious of the MP "Mantua Classic" line.

I recently bought a set of "1890" coaches in the line. The fact that the full corporate name of the Santa Fe was misspelled as "Atchinson, Topeka & Santa Fe" should have cued me to look for trouble, I guess.  :D  One of the cars kept derailing on straight, level track. I suppose the wheels were out of gauge; if that's something that can be fixed, it's beyond me to do it. I replaced the trucks with "real" Mantua trucks and now the car gives no trouble. (In fact I replaced the trucks on all three cars with "real" Mantua trucks.)

Now I just have to decide what I'm going to do about that misspelled Atchison. ...  :D

Doneldon

JBJ-

Au contraire, Maurice! Adjusting the gauge on your railcars is within your ability. Wheels are press fit so all you have to do is move them farther apart or closer. It helps to twist the wheels, one at a time, of course, as you push or pull. Make an adjustment, check the gauge and redo if necessary.
                                                                                        -- D

richg

Quote from: CNE Runner on April 16, 2011, 09:59:02 AM
Hey Jeff - Wow...I had forgotten I had even started this thread! I still have the Mantua 0-6-0T and have tried to sell it at numerous train shows for less than half of its purchase price. Since we have a reputation of fully disclosing any problems with the products we sell (if known); buyers have not taken the bait and I still have the little beastie.

Now that you have reminded me of this little guy, I think I will box it up and send it to Yardbird Trains for a complete rebuild. I hate to spend the bucks on a strictly DC locomotive; but I understand the later Mantua locomotives, such as this one, are easily convertable to DCC (Yardbird will know for sure).

I'm not sure I will run the Mantua much - as I have this love affair with my Bachmann Spectrum GE 45-Ton job. The other day (while the 45-tonner was having its engine # applied), I decided to do the day's switching with the Bachmann Plymouth...I had forgotten all the stalling and grinding that little guy does. To anybody reading this: There is a big difference between Bachmann 'standard' and the Spectrum line...it is well worth spending a little more to gain so much.

Regards,
Ray

I do not like commenting on other products but I have the Mantua 0-6-0T and hrd wired a Digitrax DZ125 decoder into it. Runs just fine.
Attached the decoder to one side of the can motor with a dab of Walther's Goo.

Rich

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: Doneldon on April 18, 2011, 01:38:46 PM
JBJ-

Au contraire, Maurice! Adjusting the gauge on your railcars is within your ability. Wheels are press fit so all you have to do is move them farther apart or closer. It helps to twist the wheels, one at a time, of course, as you push or pull. Make an adjustment, check the gauge and redo if necessary.
                                                                                    -- D

You don't know my level of ability.  ;)

I'll stick with replacing the trucks. Easier and quicker. ...

richg

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on April 18, 2011, 11:26:20 AM

Now I just have to decide what I'm going to do about that misspelled Atchison. ...  :D

Do a photo scene of the cars outside the paint shop with figures standing around scratching their heads and the supervisor chewing out the paint crew. Sound logical.  :)

Rich

richg

Quote from: Johnson Bar Jeff on April 18, 2011, 03:59:45 PM
Quote from: Doneldon on April 18, 2011, 01:38:46 PM
JBJ-

-- D

You don't know my level of ability.  ;)

I'll stick with replacing the trucks. Easier and quicker. ...

When I get new rolling stock, if plastic wheels or sintered metal wheels, I replace them with machined metal wheels. Problem solved.

Rich