News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Info about the Bachmann On30 camp cars

Started by railtwister, September 10, 2009, 01:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railtwister

Hi Mr. Bachmann,

I need to know if there is any difference in the molded components of the five On30 camp cars (item #26994, 26995, 26996, 26997, & 26998). From the pictures I have seen, they all look pretty much the same, except possibly the dining car which has 4 side windows (but I'm not sure this picture isn't just the backside view of the same body as the others). From the fact that the first three digits of the sku numbers are all the same, it would seem that they are all the same body style, with the differences being in the signage and paint. It's hard to tell for sure though, because the pictures are small.

Regards,
Bill Nielsen
Florida On30 Renegades

Ken

Bill

Took a closer (larger) look at the camp cars, although the basic body
is the  same casting, Window and Door placement varies. 3 of the cars have end & side doors for access.
  I have been meaning to pick up a set for a bridge construction crew.
  Downside all the wear/patchs are the same on each carbody, just need a bit
of body work to remove/add detail.

Ken
    GWN

railtwister

Thanks Ken,

From the various pictures posted of these cars, it is really very hard to tell what features may be different from car to car, since you usually can only see one side (&maybe also an end if you're lucky) in any of the photos, and even then, you can't be sure if it's the correct photo for that particular car. Seems odd that Bachmann would have tooled up different sides and ends both with and without doors, yet left the patches and rotted board detail the same on all cars. I guess the best that can be said for these cars is that they come with the low profile chassis and low archbar trucks OEM and could make a good start for a project, but at the high price Bachmann is asking for them there are far better options available. I'm beginning to understand how it is that these cars have been so poorly regarded on many of the On30 web groups.

Regards,
Bill

Ken

Bill

Picked up the full set last week + 1 extra and a Ventilated Box. Each set comes with a set of plans for all the cars,. Contact me off line and I will scan and forward on a set.

26944 Sawfiler  Front   door two windows
                            Ends    door
                            Back   4 windows

26995 MoW                door two windows
                                      1 window
                                      2 windows

26996 Mess Hall          4 windows each side
                                      doors

26997 Kitchen             door 2 windows
                                      doors
                                      2 windows

26998 Bunk                 door 2 windows
                                      1 window
                                      4 windows

all have 2 smokestcks, plugs if only one used.

Ken Clark
    GWN 

Terry Toenges

The basic structure for the camp cars came from Bachmann's O Scale Hobo Jungle box car.
Feel like a Mogul.

railtwister

Quote from: Ken on September 29, 2009, 11:34:41 AM

Bill

Picked up the full set last week + 1 extra and a Ventilated Box. Each set comes with a set of plans for all the cars,. Contact me off line and I will scan and forward on a set.

26944 Sawfiler  Front   door two windows
                            Ends    door
                            Back   4 windows

26995 MoW                door two windows
                                      1 window
                                      2 windows

26996 Mess Hall          4 windows each side
                                      doors

26997 Kitchen             door 2 windows
                                      doors
                                      2 windows

26998 Bunk                 door 2 windows
                                      1 window
                                      4 windows

all have 2 smokestcks, plugs if only one used.

Ken Clark
    GWN 

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the follow-up. I tried sending a PM, but I don't think it worked, since I didn't receive a copy in my in-box. If you get duplicates, sorry 'bout that. My eMail is Wrangler At Gate Dot Net.

Thanks for your help,
Bill

railtwister

Quote from: Terry Toenges on September 29, 2009, 02:07:41 PM
The basic structure for the camp cars came from Bachmann's O Scale Hobo Jungle box car.

Thanks Terry, I had heard that, and thought they looked familiar. I Have one of those Bachmann Hobo Jungle sets waiting to be placed on the layout, if I ever get to the point of doing the scenery.

Regards,
Bill