Question on laying track down on things other than the corkbed.

Started by Robertj668, September 10, 2009, 07:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

My current layout is about 90% Atlas track, with some EZ track mixed in.  I received an Acela set for Xmas a couple of years ago, and didn't want the track to go to waste, so...

Yes, I ballasted the EZ track.  It seems to hold the ballast as easily as regular track and cork roadbed.  In case you are wondering, you can remove the track from the grey plastic roadbed, but it is not EZ!

On the subject of truck tuners.  I want one, have not found one yet.  Not willing to pay for shipping that costs as much as the device.  I have gotten away with this by keeping a small supply of four different kinds of metal wheelsets:  Intermountain, Kadee, Atlas & Athearn.  Chances are that one of those brands of wheels will fit just right in whatever truck you have.  It has worked for me so far, but I still want a truck tuner, if I can ever find one at a train show or hobby store.

Regards,

Jonathan

Jhanecker2

To Jonathon : regarding Truck Tuner. Found on Micro-Mark website under "trains and Accessories" more model Railroad items, page 1 , "HO" Truck Tuner  , Item # 82838   Cost :  $9.95 .  Shipping costs depends on where its going .  I usually order multiple items of stuff whenever I order to get a better price.    Good Luck   John II.

Regarding E-Z verses Atlas Track  : I find that Atlas track is more flexible in complex switching situations espcially  yards & terminal areas ,you don't need elevated track for these areas . Bachmann switches include regular , #5, & #6. Atlas has regular , #4 , #6, & #8 in both Code 100 & Code 83 .     Atlas has also a larger selection of crossings  , in addition  Atlas has a great set of track plans.  John II

jward

jonathan,
you are in the dc area right? the greenberg train show comes to your area. not sure if he'll be there, but we have a guy who attends the pittsburgh show who sells all kinds of tools. he'd have a truck tuner. alternately, there are undoubtedly hobby shops specializing in trains in the area. one of them would probably have them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Jward,

Yes, I go to the Greenburg trains shows whenever they hit this area.  I visit the "tool guy" all the time.  That's where I got my height gage, my wheel cleaning tool, etc.  The last couple of times he has not had a truck tuner.  I will be hitting him up again in January, when the show comes to the DC Expo Center.  There use to be a "motor guy" that also came to the shows, too.  He stopped setting up a booth for whatever reason.  I would love to remotor some of my older locos if the price is right.

I met one of the original owners of NJ International at the last show attended (the "J" in NJ).  He sold it to his son, who moved the company to Arizona I believe.  He and his charming wife set up a booth to help promotion for his son.

Regards,

Jonathan

jward

i will be going to the pittsburgh greenberg show to-morrow.

the tool guy is one of our local hobby shops, from bridgeville, pa. i wasn't sure if he travelled or just did the pittsburgh show.

i like nj international. they make some of the most beautiful switchstands i've ever seen.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Let us know what treasure you found.  Love to explore at trains shows.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Robertj668

There is a train show here in TX tomorrow.  But I am not allowed to bring my wallet my wife said! I guess I could just go and look?

Robert

Robertj668

I am in the middle of breaking in my newest Engine a RIVAROSSI HO 4-6-4 NYC HUDSON. I have included a picture of it too.  Well I have to say I am impressed with it initially.  It navigating the track and switches beautifully. I ran it 20 minutes forward and now it is running 20 minutes backward. Now here is the great part.  No derailments! I am impressed with the they way the Pony wheels (is that term correct?) are installed.

Though there is one problem it is Horn hook and it looks like to convert it to Knuckle couplers. I looked at the kadee website and it looks like it is going to be a bit of work.  Well I also need to add sound and DCC  too.  The design will necessitate the Quick plug in the engine and a separate "sound" module with speaker in the tender.  This is after looking at the diagram on line.

I may have to rethink "switching" from the EZ Track now. maybe.