News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc, cheapest ever?

Started by Daylight4449, September 13, 2009, 04:28:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daylight4449

I nedd a dcc system NOTHING FANCY!!! Just a system. and i need it cheap, where should i go? I am not looking into cv programing, just pure cheap systems.

hotrainlover

Bachmann's EZ-Command is the most IN-expensive.  Easy to use, and forgiving to mistakes..... :P

simkon

Like the previous guy said, there isn't anything cheaper than Bachmann EZ Command. It can be had for $40 online from a licensed Bachmann dealer if you are a good shopper. If you're at least a descent shopper, you can get them for $75 from a licensed dealer (which is key, so the warranty will apply). Also ask him if he is a licensed dealer or not if you're not sure.

Santa Fe buff

Daylight4449,
I'm sorry, I need to tell you not to purchase the DCC E-Z Command. Why? Well, even though it's the cheapest, for only $150 you can get the NCE Power Cab. All 28 NMRA features, 6 locomotive control (Sorry, no analog locomotives. Go with Bachmann if you really don't want to bother with DCC installations/conversions.) and you can use the Cab with the NCE Pro Cab, or you can upgrade by just buying a few of their products. You can upgrade to Radio Equipped too. Adding NCE Boosters allows more than 6 locomotive controlling. There are CVs, but that really shouldn't be too much. If you are, however, really looking for something as quick as possible, and cheap...

Bachmann E-Z Commander: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/bac-44902.htm

If the NCE system appeals to you, like it does to me...

NCE Power Cab: http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/product_p/nce-524025.htm

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

simkon

For under $100 you can get a Bachmann dynamis, still cheaper than the NCE. I got mine on ebay from the Favorite Spot, yes a licensed Bachmann dealer, for $89 plus about $10 s&h.

CNE Runner

I can't argue with the fact that the Bachmann unit is the cheapest. I have been using the MRC Prodigy Advanced (the Express is less expensive) for several years and have nothing but good things to say about it. Again, if funding is an issue, I would go with the least expensive unit you can find...you can always change it later.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

Daylight4449

my budget is too tight for anything over 100

simkon

Yeah, that limits you to the Bachmann EZ-Command or Dynamis. Like I said before the EZ-command can be purchased for as little as $40 and the Dynamis for $100 including shipping, which is right at the cut-off point.

Reinhard S

I am new to DCC as well with a limited budget.  I purchased the Bachmann EZ Command system and I am more than satisfyed.  The basics of DCC are met with this expandable system as you mentioned that CV programming is not a priority.  Bachmann has turnouts that are DCC which work well with this sytem (only 8 can be programmed but you can double-up as I have).  Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Reinhard

renniks

Second posted link works but be careful if you are thinking of buying.  It is a Dynamis HANDSET being offered not the system.

Eric UK

simkon

Yeah that is an add on handset, it does you no good unless you also buy a dynamis system with the pro box. The way I got mine was by winning an auction and not using buy it now. Occasionally things slip through for less than most others sell for, because typically the system sells for $120 including shipping or more, but I kept an eye on all of the systems and if there is one that is unusually low, I bid like as I mentioned previously I got mine for 89.03 plus $10 S&H. Be very careful to ask the seller because you must be certain of what you are buying or you'll make the same mistake as Bill did.

Jim Banner

If you really want just DCC and cheap, I noticed that a brand new MRC Command 2000 went about 10 days ago for $5 on eBay.  This is an observation, not necessarily a recommendation.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Bucksco

If you are looking for something that is easy to learn and operate I can attest to the fact that I've taught 4 year olds at the World's Greatest Hobby shows to run Bachmann E-Z Command in a matter of minutes.