News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Does size really matter?

Started by bob39520, September 18, 2009, 06:01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob39520

Would I be correct that an O scale car could be an On30 if I replaced the wheels w/HO wheel sets?

Even though my On30 loco runs on my HO layout (no very far of course), I assume that my new layout should use O scale stuff like bridges to look more realistic. In other words, I could increase the distance of the railing on my HO trestle bridge and it would work on my On30 loco but am guessing that it's not really the right size.

You may assume that I am new to model railroading, have never seen a layout except in a magazine and on the internet and live in no place USA.
You would be correct....
Pelahatchie Bob

Hamish K

On30 is 1:48 scale on 16.5mm (HO) gauge track. HO is 1:87 scale on 16.5mm track. This means that HO scale structures, bridges etc. are likely to look wrong (all aspects and details too small) even if it can accommodate the On30 loco and stock.

HO represents standard gauge prototypes (track width 4 foot eight and a half inches). OnN30 represents narrow gauge prototypes. The track width scales at about 30 inches, but it is often used to represent 3 foot gauge and 2 foot gauge prototypes as well. 

You could put On30 trucks and wheel sets on O scale cars, but note that narrow gauge equipment was usually smaller (often considerably) than standard gauge equipment, although of course there were exceptions.  Converted standard gauge cars will often look big compared to On30 locos etc.

I hope this helps

Hamish

Hamish

mabloodhound

Hamish is correct in saying that although "O" scale cars would be 1:48, they would look out of proportion to the narrow gauge On30 cars and locomotives.
What many modelers do (and did before there was Bachmann On30) was to use HO cars and build them up, wider and longer to match 1:48 (1/4" = 1 foot).
I might suggest you join the Railroad-Line forum.   There are many helpful modelers there in On30 who will be more than glad to help you.
Go here http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/active.asp.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Dannyboy

I model O scale and am using On30 for a segment depicting coal mining on the same layout. If you put Lionel's Conrail Lionmaster engine next to the 0-4-0 Davenport from Bachmann you really get a sense of the difference in size, even though both are 1:48 scale. My advice would be to model one or the other, or combine them on a segment. On30 offers a lot of price advantages, but since I model all Lionel, my opinion is tilted toward enjoying the size advantages of the larger models [easier to modify locos, rolling stock, and structures]. Like anyone in this hobby you have balance what you want to model vs your budget vs your available space vs the experience your are seeking...most of all, enjoy!

bob39520

My question was prompted by browsing ebay and noticing that some O scale cars were going cheap. Seemed like the only difference was the wheels. I guess the obvious (to me) was not. Thanks for the input; I'll stay with standard On30 products until I gain more experience.
Pelahatchie Bob

Ken

Bob
   If you can find some good deals on S-Scale cars, might well be worth a look.
Have converted a few to On2.5, with a few yet to be done. Trying to play
catch up with my rolling stock, so I can order some more freight cars from
South America for my OF 4-4-0 to haul.

Ken
      GWN

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

Interestingly enough,  even true On3 cars look big next to the cars that Bachmann produce in On30 and the Bachmann cars are even bigger than many of the cars produced for On30 modelers because the "true" On30 equipment was quite small with cars down around the 20 foot range and smaller.
       Bottom line,  if you want to do On30 then just plan on using On30 equipment for a start and Bachmann gives you the most variety and prices that won't necessarily cause you to need some of the stimulation monies that are being tossed around right now.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

Ken

Not sure about "True" 2.5ft gauge car length being 20ft, any information I have on
car lengths used by 2.5Ft   Common Carrier's, the  car lengths vary from 24 to 32 Ft over sill's. I agree shorter cars were used on industrial lines 17 to 20ft.
  "Magor" built 30Ft logging cars for export around the world.

The NG&SLG had plans for the FCdeM Boxcars, very little difference in size to a
  3Ft gauge Colorado car.

Ken Clark
    GWN

vroc3349

Another thing to keep in mind is that the NMRA has standards for On30 that are smaller than for O scale.  You could, therefore, build things like bridges slightly smaller as the clearances can be smaller .

vroc3349

railtwister

Quote from: vroc3349 on September 23, 2009, 10:01:29 AM
Another thing to keep in mind is that the NMRA has standards for On30 that are smaller than for O scale.  You could, therefore, build things like bridges slightly smaller as the clearances can be smaller .

vroc3349

Actually, the posted NMRA On30 standards are a merger of the HO wheel and track standards combined with the On3 clearance standards. They offer a two-part standards gauge that uses a plastic clearance profile template that accepts a standard HO scale gauge which fits into special recesses molded into the plastic. Probably the nicest standards gauge offered by the NMRA in any scale.

Please note that the clearances for platforms tunnels and bridges retain the On3 profile due to the fact that so many cars & locos available in On30 are simply re-gauged On3 items, so the external clearances need to be the same as On3. However, if you are using narrower cars and locos these clearances can be even further reduced if you desire, but keep in mind that doing so will limit what pieces you may be able to run on your layout in the future. 

Regards,
Bill

Woody Elmore

Keep in mind that putting On30 trucks under an On3 car, especially one with trussrods, may cause clearance issues. The wheels might hit the truss rods, preventing the truck to swing properly.

There's lots of good advice in this thread. Just remember what the Bach-man always says: have fun!

ScottyB

This article discusses large scale, but the concept is the same.  Narrow gauge cars are smaller than standard gauge cars.  Pictures that show this are about halfway down this page where it says "Start 2nd Article" in red.

http://www.pcrails.com/DualGauge/SSG.htm
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

Hamish K

Railroad equipment, especially narrow gauge, varies considerably in size, even when running on the same gauge.  Usually a standard gauge car will be larger than a narrow gauge car, but not always, and some standard gauge cars (usually smallish ones) were converted to narrow gauge. Similarly a 3 foot gauge car will often be larger than a 30 inch gauge or 2 foot gauge car, but not necessarily.

On3 models are often of larger 3 foot gauge prototypes and thus may look big alongside On30 models, which are often of smaller prototypes.

On some railroads equipment of fairly different sizes ran together.

So what is right together depends on what you are modelling and, most importantly, whether you think it looks OK. Sticking to standard On30 products is certainly safe and can give you a lot of choices - but in some circumstances converting from another gauge or scale may give you appropriate stock not otherwise obtainable.

Hamish