News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Will DCC on board loco run OK on DC layout?

Started by Frankv, September 14, 2009, 08:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frankv

I just bought a new Spectrum DSH8-40CW loco with DCC. I couldn't help myself - it was just so beautiful, and a good deal. I don't run DCC yet - maybe sometime next year. Question is: should I just store this loco til then, or can I run it on my DC layout without hurting it? Will it run properly as a DC loco? Anything I should do to it to run as DC?  Will running on DC void the warranty? Thanks to all who respond.

jonathan

My layout is DC.  I run a couple of Spectrum DCC on board locos on the layout with no problems.  The DCC locos tend to run a little slower than the analog locos.  I wouldn't recommend double-heading the DCC loco with a DC loco. 

Congrats!  I have been eyeing the Dash 8, myself.  Haven't taken the plunge yet.  Let us know how it runs...

Regards,

Jonathan

simkon

It won't be damaged but it won't run quite as good as if you had dcc, but there's not much difference.

the Bach-man

Dear Frank,
Your loco will run fine right out of the box.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

lirrman

This is actually a reply to the Bach Man's reply.  About a year ago I bought a DCC on-board steam locomotive.  It DID NOT run "fine out of the box". Via a phone call, one of your service reps told me I had to remove the on-board chip and  install a little triangular clip (it came with the engine) into the sockets the chip was removed from.  After that, the loco ran fine.  Until I did that, the headlight flickered and the engine ran slow.  Isn't this the same situation?
LIRRMAN

rich1998

some people had this problem. they did not turn up the dc power pack high enough. it sometimes takes about 7 to 9 volts to start the engine moving. i had this happen. removing the decoder and putting the dc adapter works also. the bachmann manual gives dc info.
lex

Atlantic Central

Quote from: lexon on September 16, 2009, 06:47:29 PM
some people had this problem. they did not turn up the dc power pack high enough. it sometimes takes about 7 to 9 volts to start the engine moving. i had this happen. removing the decoder and putting the dc adapter works also. the bachmann manual gives dc info.
lex

Lexon. the problem some DC operators have with dual mode DCC locomotives/decoders is not because of voltage.

Different DC power packs have different types of outputs. Some are pure DC, some are half wave DC, some are transistorized motor control circuits designed for DC motors LONG before DCC was ever thought of.

Many of these transisitorized motor control circuits use some form of pulse power or pulse width modulation to get good slow speed control. Many of these types of power packs are not compatable with many of the dual mode decoders on the market today.

As a long term thing, it is always better to remove decoders for DC operation. You will get better, smoother control and avoid problems of noise, overheating and flashy headlights.

Sheldon