News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

american 4-4-0

Started by 112040025, September 16, 2009, 08:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

is the bachman 4-4-0 a good locomotive. i wasnt something that will last and something that will look good. is the disneyland set a good set? it is expensive in the catolog, but at target. om it is only 99 dollars.
what is the point of going fast. you are just going in circles!

simkon

I don't think it runs especially well. And the Disney train set isn't especially good either.

jonathan

I think the 4-4-0 runs fine considering it's low price and simple electronics.  I have two.  You can get them at train shows for considerably less than retail.  It is a little noisy and not as smooth running as a spectrum model, but it is a strong puller, considering its small size and price.  I pull up to nine old time cars (Mantua & Roundhouse).  I have made the old cars free rolling with good trucks and metal wheels.

Make sure the wheels are clean and all the mechanics are well lubricated.  The drive rods need a little conducta-lube on the crank pins.  This is not done at the factory for some reason. The track must be clean as well.  The headlight will flicker more than most locos as pick up for the headlight comes from only the pony truck (if I understand the diagram correctly).

These locos are not my everyday runners, but I enjoy running an old-timey train around the loop every once-in-a-while.

Regards,

Jonathan
I don't run mine all the time, but they are great for

CNE Runner

If you are talking about the 'regular' (DC) American 4-4-0, I would have to say they are poor runners. These locomotives feature an electrical motor in the tender - which powers the gear train located in the boiler via a driveshaft. My personal recommendation is to avoid these engines.

The Spectrum American 4-4-0 (Richmond) is definitely from a different galaxy. I own two of these excellent runners...and find them to be of the highest quality. The Spectrum units can be had with, or without, sound (all are equipped with DCC). As with all Bachmann products, it is important that you do not confuse their Spectrum line with their earlier toylike offerings. Naturally there is a considerable difference in price...which is well worth paying.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

simkon

I am pretty sure he was referring to the "old-time" American 4-4-0 with standard DC, which does not run very well. Because technically the spectrum 4-4-0 is a Richmond.

CNE Runner

That's what I figured as the 'Richmond' 4-4-0s are wonderful. Oddly, the older Bachmann Americans sell very well at train shows...go figure.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ebtnut

Just to be clear on the terminology, folks - American is the generic nick-name for any 4-4-0 locomotive, just as is Mogul for a 2-6-0, Consolidation for a 2-8-0, etc.  The Spectrum 4-4-0 is an American type locomotive built by the Richmond Locomotive Works for the Ma and Pa.  Richmond became a part of the American Locomotive Co. (Alco) along with about 6 or 7 other smaller builders.  

ebtnut

I suspect they sell well because, one, they can be had for a reasonable price and two, a lot of folks are attracted to these "old-timey" looking models. 

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ebtnut on September 17, 2009, 01:58:19 PM
I suspect they sell well because, one, they can be had for a reasonable price and two, a lot of folks are attracted to these "old-timey" looking models. 

Add to that, if you want a balloon-stacked, wood-burning 4-4-0, there isn't that much out there these days, other than what might be had on eBay.

ebtnut

Jeff - You're right.  And also be careful; the old AHM Reno/Genoa models are about 30% oversize for HO scale. 

rich1998

one time i saw a page by someone named harold. he had ways to make the bachmann old timer run really well. i guess the place is gone
lex

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: ebtnut on September 17, 2009, 04:26:10 PM
Jeff - You're right.  And also be careful; the old AHM Reno/Genoa models are about 30% oversize for HO scale. 

Sure enough, but, frankly, that doesn't bother me. They are still the best-looking models of 1870s Baldwins that I've ever seen. And the latest versions that I've found, sold in red boxes with the Rivarossi name, are wonderful runners. I've had some bad luck with the engines sold by IHC, but I'm in love with late-model Rivarossis.

(For the "Genoa," you can recognize what I consider "late model" by the pilot being red and the presence of an an actuating lever connecting the whistle to the roof of the cab.)

Terry Toenges

From a previous post refarding the 4-4-0 -
Quote from: Terry Toenges on November 13, 2008, 10:37:39 AM
My mistake. It was 29 cars. Here's a pic of a plain old Bachmann old time 4-4-0 pulling the string of cars. The front half is headed up a 2% grade.

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

To add to that - The 29 cars it is pulling are stock Bachmann, Mantua, and Roundhouse old time cars. No special couplers or wheels.
The loco is stock with the motor in the tender from one of the Civil War sets.
I could even stop it and start it on the 2% grade part.
If anyone has any doubts - try it.
Feel like a Mogul.

FECfan

With or without major slippage?