Any one on the Message board Play with Train Simulator or Train Games on the PC?

Started by Robertj668, September 15, 2009, 04:59:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertj668

Hi
I hope this topic works under the General Discussion topic! If not, sorry. Feel free ot delete it.

Recently I found several train orientated PC Games. I found my Microsoft Train simulator and my Railroad Tycoon 3.  These games were my "Model Railroading" substitute for a long time.  So I came to think, maybe there are other model railroaders that do this too.
So here are my questions.  What PC based Trains simulations or games does everyone play?

I was surprised to see that the Microsoft train Simulator still worked and on Vista an even Windows 7 (Beta Version).  I love the fact that I can download many different ser created material as well for it.
Robert

Santa Fe buff

I love Trainz. Why? Because it's the biggest Train Simulation community. With more content than any other! It's incredibly user friendly, and is more detailed than any simulator now.

Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Jhanecker2

Good afternoon All: I used to Run Microsoft Train Simulator but it never worked well on X/P. I ran it on an older computer that operated on Windows ME and it worked pretty well on that; only problem the computer went down.  Microsoft revised the game recently for operation on Windows Vista and currently supports the newer version . I haven't gotten around to looking for the current version. The older version had additional expansion Packs ,at least three 'according to the Walters 2009 reference Book page  1009 ,far right column under the train controller(joy stick ) in their "books & video" section. I enjoyed running the orignal version. John  II

jward

i think my favourite is train dispatcher. it is just that, a train dispatcher simulation, with various territories available for download. some are easy, some will have you pulling out your hairwhen every train on the board hits the same place at the same time.

i also play trainz, msts, rr tycoon 2 & 3......
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

robbs

I was looking forward to MSTS 2 as the previews for it looked amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-KmNNRLLO0

How sad that Microsoft shut down their game studio (no more Flight Simulator either).

Santa Fe buff

robbs,
Yes, it is very sad indeed. I was a fan of Flight Simulator.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

az2rail

I have played Railroad Tycoon, and it is a nice game, but I like Train Simulator better. I can run trains and wreck them later.

Bruce
If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either.

Robertj668

Hi again

I think I am going to take the plunge and get the Trainz Simulator 2009.  The Version I want is on this website?

http://www.ts2009.com/

The world builder addition? That looks like a good price too.  I like the digital Downloads.  Talking about instant gratification.

Santa Fe buff

Robertj668,
Don't get the digital download. Please, get the boxed version. TS2009 has been having some problems, purchase it, but don't forget to install the two (Free.) service packed from Auran. Once done, you'll have access to over 100,000 download-able (Free, on Auran's site, some freeware on others, and payware.) assets for the game. Whether it be an AM Radio Tower, or a SD9043MAC. Everything from TRS2004 up might work, but might not. So it's whatever you like. I recommend Trainz Classics 1&2, they are fairly well detailed, and have working ditch lights, TS2009 does, but Classics is incredibly stable.

Here's a screenshot of something I made that you can download, I'm a little mad my Trainz is broken by our computer crash, I was going to update it with more techquies I learned. I called it: PROJECT: N&W or just N&W.

Cheers,
Joshua

- Joshua Bauer

Robertj668

Joshua
I have had good luck with the downloads in the past so I may take those odds. Or is the problems with the actual on line purchase and then downloading? Which I have have had problems with before. But even then I was successful too.

Trainz looks like there is more user software avail to everyone. The MSTS had very little routes and engines to choose from.  Even after finding a few more I was still disappointed.

Robert

Robertj668

OK
One last question.  Can you install and run the software on several Computers? My Microsoft Train Simulator allows me to run the software on My laptop and my desktop.

Thanks

I have the item on the checkout box as I type this.

Robert

simkon

There will probably be a product registration number, like a long code of letters or numbers that you have to type in to install the game, rarely it will limit you to only one machine, most of the time you can install it on two or more machines. But games with online features often prevent two computers from using the same code simultaneously, but may allow it to be used on separate computers as long as they both aren't being used at the same time.

Santa Fe buff

Robert,
With Trainz, you can only register online once, but as long as you completely uninstall it on one computer. Then you can re-register it on another. The Internet goes with you wherever you have connection. So if you completely uninstall Trainz, on (For example.) your laptop, then install it on your desktop. You'll still have access to the 1,000,000+ free online content downloads from Auran for that simulator. As long as the installation is sucessful, and you get connection to the Internet, you should be fine. For more help, you can find better assistance on www.auran.com 's forums. Those guys are smarter than me, and can simplify something for you to understand, or chat scripts with fellow modelers. Computer modelers, for clarification.

Cheers,
Joshua
- Joshua Bauer

Robertj668

Purchase went well.
Download took forever It was 2.5 Gig. 
I was able to install it o the laptop and the Home PC.

Quick thoughts. Outstanding! A lot included in the price.
After I have had the opportunity to take it all in I an may give another opinion. But this is first class.  My 6yr old took to it much quicker.

Boy I am glad I asked and looked into this.  Thank you everyone for your help.

Robert