News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 Christmas Set & Buildings

Started by GovB, September 24, 2009, 04:30:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GovB

I just bought my first On30 Christmas Set but I'm a bit confused as to what scale buildings to use with it. I put it next to a Lemax Christmas train station but somehow it just didn't look right. Any thoughts, ideas or photo examples would be a big help. I'm sure this question has been asked before but this is my first time on this board.

Thanks, GovB  ???
Happy Rails to You, GovB

OGReditor

Keep in mind that the On30 trains are 1:48 (O scale) scale-size models (and modeled after very small prototype trains, at that), and many or most ceramic village buildings and accessories range all over the place in terms of scale.  In fact, most are not built to any particular scale at all.

I have used my On30 trains with Dept. 56 "Snow Village" buildings in the past, and wasn't the least bit bothered by the disparity in scales.  Truth is, one of the reasons Bachmann introduced On30 in the first place was their suitability for use with many ceramic village lines.  I have also used the Dept. 56 buildings with traditional-size O27 trains (somewhat smaller that true O scale trains, with equally good effect.

I'm not all that familiar with Lemax villages, but I assume they are somewhat comparable in size to the Dept. 56 "Snow Village" line.

Frankly, I wouldn't worry all that much about the size of the structures.  If things look okay in general terms, that certainly should be good enough for a holiday-type display.

NarrowMinded

OG-- is right about scale with the ceramic villages, even within a manufacturer the scale will very, when buying them for christmas I always try to buy buildings I like if they have a doorway that scales out around 6'7" for a house which is around 1-5/8 there abouts, also keep in mind that your minds eye will play tricks on you when looking down at a layout get down and look at everything from street level, it will give you a better perspective of whether it fits or not. of coarse the last rule is ... you have to like it.

BIG BEAR

Hey GovB,
   I came back to model railroading because of our Christmas village.
after much research I came to On30 for our setting.  "s" gauge was a very close second , but the detail of the bachmann trains made my mind up in a hurry. I thought the train looked a little off but then I noticed not even the children could actually walk into a building without being de-capitated, I decided the slight disparity is just fine for me.
   I have seen several christmas villages with O scale and some with G scale trains on display to the public. I also found that Bachmann has made Street car sets & more recently a passenger set for Dept 56 to sell as their own sets painted to their colors & road name. Hope this helps.
  I also found this at a Lemax site:
    http://www.barcourt.com/hints.htm

Enjoy,
           Barry

Barry,

...all the Live long day... If she'd let me.