News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adhesive for ground foam

Started by Billm10454, September 25, 2009, 08:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billm10454

How do I apply ground foam and what adhesive do I use. I will be applying it to plaster. Thanks

ebtbob

Bill,

The term you use,  ground foam,  may mean different things so let me give you my methods.   Over plaster,  the first thing I do is paint it an earth tone,  usually a mid brown.   While the paint is drying I can apply fine foam,  such as "grass".   For foam that is more of a glump foam,  representing small bushes I use Elmers yellow glue although regular Elmers will work just fine.   You can also use spray contact cement if you find it convenient.

Bob
In God We Trust
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jonathan

Morning Bill,

Another method I like is to squeeze out some generic craft glue, spread it around with a wet paint brush, and sprinkle the foam onto the wet glue.  If the foam is thick, I also drip some 50/50 diluted white glue on top and let it soak in.  Remember to vacuum or sweep up after it dries.  That stuff tends to get into places you don't want it (trucks and gears).

Regards,

Jonathan

lwmlwm44

I also apply a base coat of paint.........generally a light beige and then brush Elmers white glue over the area............generally thinned a bit with water and sprinkle the loose grass over it smoothing it out abit.   After it has dried good............usually overnight, I come back and using a spray bottle with 2 parts water to 1 part elmers white glue, give the entire area a good wetting down...........making sure you don't hit any tracks or other areas that you don't want the glue to stick to.   Usually there is no loose covering to worry about. after that.

For small areas like apply ballast to road bed between the ties I put the ballast down and using a flat dry soft brush brush away the excess from on the ties leaving the ballast between the ties only.    Then following it with a eye dropper using the water downed glue or you can spray andthen with a damp sponge wipe off the rails.  After that you can use a track cleaning eraser to run over the rails to finish it off.

Larry

Dannyboy

I have applied a light coating of scenic cement [50/50 white glue to water, a couple drops of dish detergent, and a capful or two of alcohol] lightly sprinkle the ground foam, let it dry overnight, and then re-apply foam if needed, and drench it in the same glue mix,  [or dilute it slightly if it's not flowing right] and let it sit overnight, then use a computer vac to clean up. Works every time. ;D

Cheers!

Billm10454

Thanks for all the help. I will go with the paint and then sprinkle on the foam and seal with the dilluted glue.

SteamGene

It may not be necessary, but I paint brown first, then sprinkle dirt colored ground foam over glue, followed by grass.  This way I get the of bare spots and thin grass in some areas.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"