News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

model railroad track plans

Started by bnsfmodeler, April 11, 2007, 06:56:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnsfmodeler

hello does anyone have a track plan for either a 6' by 15' space or either a 10' by 15' space? its for HO scale if so please reply with a track plan or email me one at sdmcobra2@verizon.net thanks and i already checked to web i have benn checking google and pretty much looked at every website about 40 times each ive benn loking for about 2 years now and cant find any good ones, so if you guys have any please send me the link to the track plan or a picture of it, and please make it the sizes that i have listed or some where in between, and list the specs of the layout, example:the radii. So please reply to this message with that info and a track plan or email me at sdmcobra@verizon.net

thanks regards

SteamGene

Find a plan that you like for a 4X8 and then just expand the straight stretches to fit 6X15 or 10x15.  You can increase the size of mainline run this way and add to the length of sidings or even add a siding or two.  There are plenty of plans for a 4x8!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

rikc9

Here are quite a few I found on Google.

http://www.thortrains.net/4holayx.html
http://www.thortrains.net/poorhox.html
http://www.trainweb.org/railvids/modelrailroad.htm

Adapt one to what you would like. With flex track, it should not be too difficult to modify.

Also:
http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/model-railroading-books-home-layout-ideas.html

With what it is going to cost to build a layout you want, you can easily buy at least one model railroading planning book from Kalmbach. It sounds like you have not done this before so a couple of model railroad planning books will be usefull. You are going to have to do the planning yourself. You will no doubt get new ideas after you start building.

rikc9

jsmvmd

Dear bnsf,

I have found many adequate ideas and plans from Atlas. You can check out several of their books at the library and see what you like. They have several plans for your dimensions. Too, I like Gene's idea of expanding a smaller plan with straights. Atlas has a 6' x 10' that is two 4' x 6's put together or something like that. If you would combine two 4' x 8's (plywood sheets, that is) that would give you 8' x 12' I believe.

Too, at work today sitting on my desk, there was a folded rubber band that was removed from a parcel that looked like a pretty darn good candidate, sort of like a folded dogbone with all the loops connected with a central wye. Intriguing!

Best, Jack

bnsfmodeler

ok thanks guys and thanks for all the links i like the idea of doing a 4X8 size layout with more straights to add to it.

jsmvmd

Dear rikc9,

Another search engine is Vivisimo. You might be pleasantly surprised, as I was.

Best, Jack

bnsfmodeler

ok thanks again for all your help, i have found a plan that is 10' by 15' and its all a couincidence, its based on cajon pass which i was planning on doing the scenery on anyways, the plan is around the walls with 2 pininsulas, my parents were looking for a house to buy and right across the street they saw an open garage with a huge layout(10' by 15') and they started talking to him and he said bring your son by anytime, so the next day my mom took me and he gave me lots of advice, and even let me run a 40 car intermodal train around the layout he let me choose the locomotives that i wanted and everything, i chose a custom made atlas locomotive, it was a UP SD70MAC, an athearn BNSF dash8 wide cab and an athearn dash9 UP locomotive, i would post a link but there is no website i just found it by luck, the guy had well ever 70 locomotives, he had a huge selection too, he had csx, UP, SF, BNSF, amtrak, and BN i was impressed and im building the exact same layout and the guy is gonna help me build it, give me advice, wire it with DCC, install DCC decoders in my locos as well as sound, and hes giving me some locos and rolling stock as well!!!!!

thanks again guys