News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Convert 4-6-0 from battery to DC?

Started by paceway, April 11, 2007, 07:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paceway

How much is involved in converting a battery 4-6-0 to electric. If anyone has done it I would like to know what has to be done.

Thanks

Bob

Tim Brien

Bob,
       I have not carried out the modification,  but from a purely economical point of view,  it would not be worth the trouble.  You will need to obtain a later run electric chassis and then fit to your battery chassis (plastic wheels).  Reliability of early drives is very suspect as a long term proposition.  The latest chassis with the MK5 driveline is pretty well bulletproof,  or the Anniversary drive (same mechanicals but more detailed chassis, steam chest and cylinders and metal driverods) may be able to be fitted.  Cost of parts alone (unless very cheap donor locomotive to source parts) would be prohibitive.  A new Anniversary can be picked up for around $140.00 or a new Big Hauler, ex a starter set,  for around $75.00.

scottychaos

You could put a Corvette engine into a Yugo,
but its not really worth the effort.

Scot

paceway

That's what I figured. Thanks fellows, for you help.

Bob

scottychaos

actually, I have an idea that could work!  ;D

get some new tender trucks with track pickups.
(the wipers that pick up track power)
available on all kinds of different Large Scale products.

wire the tender truck pickups to the motor of the engine!
the engine can then keep its original plastic drivers, but run on track power!

Scot

altterrain

There's a flaw in that plan. That motor is designed to run on 9v and probably would not handle 18+ volts. I converted (well not yet but its on to do list) my old RC big hauler (which is in perfect condition) by picking up 4th generation big hauler on eBay cheap (locally, so no shipping). The body on my eBay purchase was well abused and is just kitbash fodder now.
The big hauler will probably become a shortened 0-6-0 for shortline operation. I am thinking about using the old RC gearbox for a logging winch or something like that on the layout.

-Brian
President of

calenelson

if you really want to use the Big Hauler...check out  Barry's Big Trains, he builds a replacement drive that may help!

cale

I have 3 Anniversary Ed.s and they are all good runners!

japasha

Many years ago I wrote an article for Garden Railway as to how to rewire the Battery powered locomotive for track power.

On the motor there are two wires, one is pink and the other blue, if I remember correctly. The motor is really a 12 volt motor with a center tap wired to ground for 9 volt operation. This allows the analog switch on the R/C board to switch between the two wires, pink and blue. By this method the motor reverses  direction with the R/C unit without changing the polarioty of the power.

By wiring the pink and blue wires to the track, it will run on 12-18 volts fine. Use a set od pickup from LGB with metal polarized wheels and you should have  working locomotive. Leave the batteries in the boiler for additional weight. Don't expect to pull more than five cars with this enegine as the gears are weak.

altterrain

Quote from: japasha on April 12, 2007, 05:33:00 PM
Many years ago I wrote an article for Garden Railway as to how to rewire the Battery powered locomotive for track power.

What issue of GR would that be in? and what would the author's name be? ???

-Brian
President of

Steve Stockham

Believe me, you don't want to waste a BBT drivetrain on a first generation Big Hauler!! The BBT drivetrain is superb (this would be like putting a Lamborghini under the Yugo!) Best advice, cough up the dollars and buy an Annie! The detailing is excellent and the drivetrain is very good! It will navigate R1 (2' radius) curves and will still look good next to more expensive locomotives that you might buy later on. It also makes an excellent "body" for the BBT drivetrain. (I had my Annie converted from a ten-wheeler to a 2-8-0 Consolidation with the addition of a BBT280 drivetrain.) Here's a shot:

Paul W.

Steve,
Nice pic!  That engine should make more than a couple heads turn.
Happy Steamin'

Paul

scottychaos

Quote from: altterrain on April 12, 2007, 07:09:00 PM
Quote from: japasha on April 12, 2007, 05:33:00 PM

What issue of GR would that be in? and what would the author's name be? ???

-Brian

you dont need the issue..he already told you all you need to know!  ;)

Scot