News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Williams Sound Systems

Started by trainman2, October 02, 2009, 04:17:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman2

I just ordered a Rio Grande PA ABA set with sound that includes revving motors and crew talk. I have not revceived it yet so am very curious since I have never seen this type of sound system mentioned in any of Williams advertising materials. I notice there is another ABA set (different road name) on eBay with the same sound system description. Did Williams do a limited run of upgraded sound diesels in the past or did someone install an after-market system?
I will report back on how mine sounds after I receive it next week.
Thanks.
Ed

trainman2

I may have just answered my own question - I am told the print on the box refers to "True-Sounds" and describes the features as in my above posting. Is this system still offered by Williams - and if so, do they have it on any steam locos?
Thanks for your help.
Ed

phillyreading

If it is like the older Williams(about five years ago, maybe longer) sound systems by QSI in the F-7 diesels sets it will have a "Leaving station on track ten" announcement & bell & regular horn(not TB-2) along with motor revving sounds that are in proportion to the power supplied to the track. The horn does not work in the low power range and the bell don't work in the higher than idle speed.
Hope this helps you!

Lee F.

J. S. Bach

Quote from: phillyreading on November 19, 2009, 12:30:17 PM
If it is like the older Williams(about five years ago, maybe longer) sound systems by QSI in the F-7 diesels sets it will have a "Leaving station on track ten" announcement & bell & regular horn(not TB-2) along with motor revving sounds that are in proportion to the power supplied to the track. The horn does not work in the low power range and the bell don't work in the higher than idle speed.
Hope this helps you!

Lee F.

Thank you for that information; I recently got a Williams scale GG1 that has that board installed. Diesel sounds from a GG1?  ??? At least the horn sounds good.  I wonder if there is there a way to disable all but the horn.

Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mike_AA9ZY

I wish there was a way to put MTH's PS2 in them, since I run DCS.

J. S. Bach

Quote from: Mike_AA9ZY on November 27, 2009, 12:56:54 PM
I wish there was a way to put MTH's PS2 in them, since I run DCS.

There is; a friend has had DCS installed in Lionel, Atlas, and Williams engines.

Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke

phillyreading

Quote from: J. S. Bach on November 26, 2009, 02:17:47 AM
Hope this helps you!

Lee F.

Thank you for that information; I recently got a Williams scale GG1 that has that board installed. Diesel sounds from a GG1?  ??? At least the horn sounds good.  I wonder if there is there a way to disable all but the horn.

As far as disableing all but the horn, I don't know of any way except to disconnect the QSI sound board and install a True Blast 2 horn & bell system. Maybe somebody at Bachmann will know what to do.

Also checked into adding PS-2 to my Williams engines and I don't think that I will be doing this anytime soon. The price per engine was $250.00 plus costs of shipping both ways, or over $300.00, and that was about a year ago or better.

Lee F.

Jumijo

I just purchased an Electric RR sound board for my Williams O27 Alcos, and installed it about an hour ago. Extremely easy. For $50.00, it sounds great. Revving, horn, bell, coupler clank, and more. I like it so much, I'm going to buy one for my Williams F3.

trainman2

It turns out the PA set was silent! No sound. The box was mis-marked, or the wrong units were placed in the boxes. The vendor adjusted his price, but now I need to find a sound system that will work. I want horn, bell and motor sounds - would mount the boards/speaker in the B unit. Any suggested vendors?
Thanks!
Ed

cfourrier

I'm also going to recommend Electric RR Co.  Their $50 units are easy and work well - you can even add Command if you want to run from a remote.  I put their GG-1 unit in my Williams Scall GG-1 - tokk me a big 10 minutes - works fine - only probelm to me is that I'd like to pump up the volume - they have a volume setting - but it's not loud enough - especially if you're running on a loud track system.

- Clay

MAPA JCT

Quote from: trainman2 on October 02, 2009, 04:17:46 PM
I just ordered a Rio Grandee PA ABA set with sound that includes revving motors and crew talk. I have not received it yet so am very curious since I have never seen this type of sound system mentioned in any of Williams advertising materials. I notice there is another ABA set (different road name) on eBay with the same sound system description. Did Williams do a limited run of upgraded sound diesels in the past or did someone install an aftermarket system?
I will report back on how mine sounds after I receive it next week.
Thanks.
Ed

You purchased a set that was installed with an original "TRUSOUNDS" sound system, developed by "OTT MACHINE WORKS". Otto supplied the boards, when assembled they were put in by the Mfg. overseas. There wasn't a special run. When ordering from Williams (or a dealer like my self) you had a choice of buying a set with horn only or withe the "truesounds". The cost was $99 higher for the "TS".  The Truesounds lasted until about 1995, MR OTT was up in age, and it was getting harder and harder to get parts to make the boards, so the business has closed.....I think, or maybe has ceased making sound systems. With the advent of TMCC, R/S, DCS, etc the truesounds faded into history.

Marty, MA&PA JCT, WBB authorized Dealer

MAPA JCT

Quote from: trainman2 on October 02, 2009, 04:26:08 PM
I may have just answered my own question - I am told the print on the box refers to "True-Sounds" and describes the features as in my above posting. Is this system still offered by Williams - and if so, do they have it on any steam locos?
Thanks for your help.
Ed

TRUESOUNDS is gone, in its place is "TRUEBLAST II" digital Bell and Horn for the Diesels. Yes, TBII comes is available with steam whistle and bell. I sell them on my web site (www.mapajunction.com).

MARTY, MA&PA JCT

MAPA JCT

Hope this helps you!

Lee F.

Most people get there "AA" sets long after the original owner bought them, and the instructions on operating the "truesounds" is missing. Here's how it is supposed to work:  First, lets imagine we are going to take off from the train station, make a few loops and return to the station.  Throttle up transformer slowly, and under 8 volts. The tower announces "leaving on track ten" will stop and go to "reset". That is, will not play again until transformer is turned off. While still under 8 volts,  activate your whistle button 1-2 times quickly, the "bell" will come on and stay on until 8-10 volts. Right now you are cruising along at track speed, with traction motor noise going up/down, depending on throttle setting. Also, above 8 volts, the bell goes off, but you can now blow the diesel horn, Will stay on until the button is released. Ok, you have made several trips around the layout, time to come back into the station. Throttle back, and when under 10 volts the bell comes back on! There....go have fun!

Marty, MA&PA JCT

MAPA JCT

Quote from: trainman2 on December 15, 2009, 01:16:32 PM
It turns out the PA set was silent! No sound. The box was mis-marked, or the wrong units were placed in the boxes. The vendor adjusted his price, but now I need to find a sound system that will work. I want horn, bell and motor sounds - would mount the boards/speaker in the B unit. Any suggested vendors?
Thanks!
Ed

I can help you, but cannot post any data because I am dealer. Email me at marty@mapajunction.com for more information.

Marty

MAPA JCT

Quote from: cfourrier on December 17, 2009, 05:59:27 PM
I'm also going to recommend Electric RR Co.  Their $50 units are easy and work well - you can even add Command if you want to run from a remote.  I put their GG-1 unit in my Williams Scall GG-1 - tokk me a big 10 minutes - works fine - only probelm to me is that I'd like to pump up the volume - they have a volume setting - but it's not loud enough - especially if you're running on a loud track system.

- Clay

You can get more volume if you wire the motors in "series". Right now, they are "parallel" and are wired into the reverse board. Since the dual motors are now working separately this draws more amps and will through more amps to TBII sound system. Hence, more volume.