News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Brake mechanism- Front or back?

Started by hunter2115, October 03, 2009, 07:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunter2115

Probably a very easy question for those in the know-Does the brake mechanism go in the front or the back of a coal hopper? How about the brake wheel on boxcars?

jonathan

Great question.  I've always wondered as well.  Hope someone knows the answer...

Regards

Jonathan

Chris350

Would it matter?  If I understand what you guys are thinking, if the mechanism was directionally dependent than wouldn't the cars have to be turned around like a steam loco every time the train reversed it's trip direction.

rogertra

Define what you mean by "brake mechanism".

The question you ask is too vague as there are lots of parts to the "brake mechanism", which part(s) in particular sre you asking about?

You can also find out a lot about railway brakes by using Google.

jonathan

Good point.  I guess it doesn't matter which direction the car faces.  My confusion started when I first noticed cabeese have a brakewheel on both ends, but freight cars have only one brake wheel.  My military training wanted me to make everything "uniform".  Thus shouldn't all the brakewheels be facing the same way as well... apparently not.  Thanks

Regards,

Jonathan

Mike

It really doesn't which end faces which way. However, with tall cars with high brake wheels, we often (to the extent possible) pair brake "B" ends together to make it easier for the "guy on the ground" to set and release the handbrakes. You will often see this on trains with groups of chip hoppers and the like. -Mike

jward

freight cars didn't have a front or back. they are bidirectional, and the ends referred to as a and b. the brake wheel always goes on the b end, but in a train, cars are random as to which end is leading in any given train. usually, the railroad won't take the time and expense to turn cars without a compelling reason.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

CNE Runner

As mentioned, most rolling stock are bidirectional. In the 19th and early 20th centuries brakemen ran across the tops of cars to apply the brakes manually (taking their cues from locomotive whistle signals). It would have made their job somewhat easier if the brake wheels were close together...but only on two cars. They still would have had to run down the length of a car to reach the next set of brake wheels. Another fact to consider is that there was no way to turn a car around (excepting the possible presence of a wye). Keeping the 'B' ends of the cars all aligned wasn't possible then - and it isn't possible now.

If you are referring to the brake running gear then the brake cylinder (little cylinder with a 'pointed' end) always faces the 'B' end of the car.

I hope this helps,
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

ebtnut

As CNE notes, the "B" end is where the brake wheel is located, and that is normally the end that the brake cylinder points towards.  Cabooses (cabeese??) have an extra bellcrank or a double-length one so that the brake chains can tighten up the brakes from either end. 

RAM

Keeping the 'B' ends of the cars all aligned wasn't possible then - and it isn't possible now.
How ever this is done today on unit coal train that stay coupled when turned to dump.  Two colored ends or two uncolored end can not be together.  If the are they must be uncoupled before dumping.

Chris350

Quote from: RAM on October 06, 2009, 02:31:02 PM
Keeping the 'B' ends of the cars all aligned wasn't possible then - and it isn't possible now.
How ever this is done today on unit coal train that stay coupled when turned to dump.  Two colored ends or two uncolored end can not be together.  If the are they must be uncoupled before dumping.
Isn't this because one of the couplers rotates to facilitate dumping or something like that?  I've seen UP coal units in SLC marked in such a way to suggest this....

CNE Runner

OK...maybe it is just me; but don't BOTH couplers have to be able to rotate? I can only imagine the noise produced when only one coupler rotates and the other doesn't. [I am assuming that the car is not uncoupled prior to rotation.]

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

kevin2083

I wouldn't think so. If there's one fixed and one rotary coupler on a car, I would think that as long as each fixed coupler is connected to a rotary coupler then it wouldn't be a problem. let's say the fixed coupler ins on the B end and the rotary courpler on the A end. If all the cars are arranged so the A end connects to the B end of the next car, the A coupler from the car being rotated and the A coupler from the next car will rotate. Then there wouldn't be any horrible noises or broken things.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

BestSnowman

Quote from: CNE Runner on October 07, 2009, 10:17:11 AM
OK...maybe it is just me; but don't BOTH couplers have to be able to rotate? I can only imagine the noise produced when only one coupler rotates and the other doesn't. [I am assuming that the car is not uncoupled prior to rotation.]

Ray

I imagine one coupler doesn't rotate so they stay the right way up. If both rotated it would be possible that they wouldn't rotate back and be upside down.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

steam45

is int the break handle just for decoration?