News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

1361 Pennsy

Started by KUXJ, October 05, 2009, 02:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KUXJ

Hi Everyone!

I have a HO commemorative issue 1361 Pennsy engine that has never been out of the box, that was given to me by my Dad (Bless His Soul).

I do not want to sell, but have limited information about.

Can anyone supply me with production run figures (Limited by Bachmann )
Original price
Present value For insurance purposes.

This steam engine was produced by Bachmann to commemorate the rebuilding of 1361, and sold only at the ceremonies held at the Horseshoe Curve, Altoona Pa.

The engine made an "Special run" from Altoona to Norththumberland, Pa.. but unfortunately had bearing trouble on the trip, and was never ran again.

KUXJ

ebtnut

Just to correct the history a bit--No. 1361 was returned to service back in the 1980's.  She ran several excursions from Altoona to Bellefont, PA the first year.  The next year she ran some more times, including a couple of trips on the old Northern Central out of York, PA.  It was during the return towards Altoona that they burned up one of the main driver bearings.  She was eventually sent to Steamtown for rebuilding, but after several years and some mis-management, the money ran out.  Last I heard she was going to be sent back to the museum in Altoona and cosmetically restored.  Return to excursion service is iffy at best. 

ebtbob

Regardless of where the 1361 resides,  in her current condition she resembles the world's largest Bowser kit.
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

jward

if i am not mistaken, 1361 made more than the one trip.
i seem to recall it running trips on the nittany & bald eagle as well.

horseshoe curve hasn't been the same since she left.....
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jsmvmd

Dear KUXJ,

If I understand you, I recently saw a Bachmann Pacific K4 in a LHS for about $105 in Altoona.  The one I bought for my son  ~2000, I think I paid about $90.  I am not a collector, and do not follow values, but this stuff I do know.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Jack

Pacific Northern

It sounds as though some organization associated with the Pennsy ordered a number of their HO engines and these were packaged in some sort of presentation box. Sounds like a fund raiser item.

I would think the value of that engines is not much more than any other unused HO Pennsy engine. The box on the other hand may add some additional value but I do not think it would amount to much of a premium.

Hazard a quess perhaps $100 if you can find a collector interested in it.
Pacific Northern

KUXJ

Thank you all for the replies fellows.

To ebtnut, ebtbob, and jward:
I used this link The PRR K-4s #1361 Steam Locomotive Restoration Project
(click on links to table of contents) to find out.

• ebtnut, Return to excursion service is iffy. Use ebtbob's link below see, at bottom. Funding stopped July 14, 2007
  • ebtbob, Railroaders Memorial Museum says it's still in altoona. Never did a Bowser, but a Mantua K-4 kit.
  • jward, This link gives a pretty good rundown PRR K-4s #1361 Restoration

For jsmvmd:
Thanks, It's a start.....I wonder what it would be in today's $$$$$ 
I have a mail out to Noel Barrett/appraiser, but haven't heard from him yet. 

For Pacific Northern:
Yes, I believe it was the Railroaders Memorial Museum.
Well...at least it won't drive up my homeowner's insurance too much.

~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~

Was able to get the "good" batteries for my camera.....

jsmvmd

Dear KUXJ,

Suggest you contact the Museum at 814-946-0834 and ask them any questions you have.  Someone can help you, I am sure.

As I stated, at a LHS (Unkle Joes Woodshed), I recently saw a Bachmann Spectrum K4, #1361, listed for under $112.

I don't know what yours would sell for.  Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Jack

KUXJ

Thanks, Jack for the number.

As luck would have it I Just came in from being out in the yard all day, and saw your post here at 5pm edt, called it right away, but they closed at 5.
So I'll have to try tomorrow.

Still no word from Noel Barrett/appraiser.
Even though it's a commemorative issue it's still less than 25years old. So I'd go along with the $112 price.
My guess is, it would have to wait another 75years before the price would budge.

Did talk with the Insurance Co.
Since it wasn't an antique it would be foolish to go any higher than $200. And at that rate the homeowners policy would cover it, just take pix of it, for the record.

Thanks again,

Steve

jsmvmd

Dear Steve,

I forgot to mention the Unkle Joe's K4 is in a regular box, not commemorative.  So, if you find the right buyer, the price might be different.  Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

Jack