News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 4-6-0 as V&T #26 or #27?

Started by NevinW, February 05, 2007, 08:03:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NevinW

I seem to remember that someone here had converted a low boiler version of the Bachmann 4-6-0 in to a passable V&T #26 or #27.  The Bachmann has 52 inch drivers and the prototype had 56.   I would love to hear more about how it was done and how much surgery was involved.  I think there were pictures posted at one point.  It looks like my next railroad is going to the V&T! -  Nevin

SteamGene

Let's see, do the math.  If one inch equals 87 inches, then 0.? inch equals 52 inches and 0.?+inch equals 56 inches.  Is there a micrometer calibrated fine enough to measure the difference?
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

NevinW

That was precisely my point.  Several inches in HO is not going to make much of a visual diference.  Going from 56 inch drivers to 63 inch as with the High boiler version would probably be visually apparent.  The model that I saw looked pretty good.  -  Nevin

Hoople

52" drivers to 56" drivers in HO scale is 4". In real life, that's about 0.05 inches.
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

Tom Milam

Hello, For the third time I can not load photos from your attachment link.
I did a version of the V&T 27. I have photos in my pictures of the older posting of the said V&T 27.
Tom

Terry Toenges

Hoople - You have it backwards. In real life it's 4". In HO, it's 0.05"
Feel like a Mogul.