News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Need advice on 'old' decal sets

Started by lanny, April 12, 2007, 02:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanny

Hi all,

I have several resin kits of various ages. They all come with decals, some of which are the 'thin film' variety. Some of the kits, though new and never built, are 'old' in terms of age, thus the decals are old as well.

I understand that there is a danger of 'old decals' cracking, splitting, or otherwise being ruined when applied, if they are 'too old'. I also understand there is a product that can be used to 'renew' or 'reseal' old decal sets so this will not happen.

I sure would appreciate a quick summary of what product(s) to get, how to apply it, and anything else that I need to watch out for when using 'old, treated' decals.

Thanks very much for any and all advice/help/information.

lanny nicolet
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

JM

Microscale has a product to renew old deacls....I've used it and it works even on really old stuff that has cracked and become brittle.
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MI-12&Category_Code=FINPROD&Product_Count=6

Virginian

Let me add a testimonial.  This stuff rates one.  I think Microscale Liquid Decal Film is fantastic stuff.  If a decal is all together, albeit 50 years old, it will go on just like a new one with this stuff.
"What could have happened... did."

jayl1

Some folks also spray gloss coat on the old decals.