News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

slaughter house workers

Started by SteamGene, October 07, 2009, 02:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Anybody have a good suggestion for figures for a slaughter house.  I have the Walther's one right where the eastbound comes out of Sugar grove WV and having a couple of men with bloody aprons would be a great touch!
Also, I found the Walther's ice house to be easy to assemble, but in need of a couple of changes.  It's obvious that the icing platform and the ice house itself need to connect, but can't be touching each other.  The rear rail doesn't have gates to allow ice to go from house to platform, nor are there any bridges between the two.  I also found that while the box art shows X bracing for the legs, the kit only has enough pieces for Z bracing. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Jim Banner

How about a bit of Squadron Green Putty for smocks/aprons, some white paint to cover the green, and a bit of red paint for effect?  Add these to any figure you like.  Figures are hard to make from scratch but easy to modify.

Jim
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

SteamGene

I've thought about that Jim.  If nothing else is available, I'll work on that.  Maybe about 2020!  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

renniks

There are some figures available wearing 'warehouse' coats or aprons. Also sets of mechanics and painters wearing white coveralls and caps which are even more appropriate.Just need a touch of 'blood'. What we really need is some sides of meat.

Eric UK

ontario midland

having a couple of men with bloody aprons would be a great touch!

as a meat cutter myself, I work at a small town slaughter house sometimes .one of the owners wears white pants and shirt,that they rent srom a laundry co.under there aprons. and the pants and shirts, can also get pretty bloody. so if you can't find guys with aprons,you could always do a white shirt and pant guy,with blood on them. just an ideal  ::)

ontario midland

What we really need is some sides of meat

They shouldn't be to hard to make. some  cardstock,and a good ideal just what a side of beef looks like.and go from there. I hope to have a slaughter house on my layout someday.

SteamGene

The kit comes with four sides of beef - two right and two left!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat

Terry Toenges

Why not just buy plastic cows and behead them and split them and cut their feet off?
Feel like a Mogul.

rogertra

Thanks to the comics, you'd think that every model railroad has to have a meat processing plant, a packing plant, a stock pen, a lumber yard and an oil dealer.

Even those set in the 1980s through 2009 era when all those industries, except perhaps the lumber yard, were served by trucks or, in the case of the stockyard, abandoned.  :)

RAM

meat processing plant still have rail service today.  How ever it ships by products.  Oil in tank cars, waste like blood, bones, skin, and maybe hides.  A lot of that junk gos in dog food.

renniks

Quote from: Terry Toenges on October 08, 2009, 07:49:59 PM
Why not just buy plastic cows and behead them and split them and cut their feet off?
Legs would be wrong alignment for a carcase.
Which brings up another question. I have only seen models of milk cows,calves and 'stud' bull. Does anyone make beef cattle?  Want them in O scale too.

Eric UK

Terry Toenges

Eric,
You're right. Perhaps a little heat could stretch the legs out.
Feel like a Mogul.

mrcrrtech

Quote from: renniks on October 10, 2009, 06:23:27 AM
Quote from: Terry Toenges on October 08, 2009, 07:49:59 PM
Which brings up another question. I have only seen models of milk cows,calves and 'stud' bull. Does anyone make beef cattle?  Want them in O scale too.

Eric UK

Which brings up another question....
Being a city boy...a cow is a cow...they stand in a field all day, head down, eating grass...what's the visible difference between a milk cow and a beef cow?
Frank Verrico
Product Manager/Tech Support
Model Rectifier Corp.
rrtech@modelrectifier.com

Stephen D. Richards

mrcrrtech,  the primary difference is the udders.  However, a milk cow generally has bony shoulders and a large mid section.  A "beef" bovine usually has a lot more meat on it!  Sorry for the puns.  Actually a cow is a female bovine, of the cattle variety.  A male is a bull or steer.  There is just so many possibilities for this answer.  I'm not going there!  Hope that helps a little anyway!   ;D ;D ;D     Stephen

mrcrrtech

Stephen,
thank you for the info....
i'll have to check any cows on my layout to make sure they are the right cows for the right job...lol
Frank Verrico
Product Manager/Tech Support
Model Rectifier Corp.
rrtech@modelrectifier.com