News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Starting in Reverse

Started by tomplatten, November 16, 2009, 11:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomplatten

I run my F-7's with the powered unit in the rear in the old Lionel tradition! Therefore, in my case, it would be better if my F-unit actually started in reverse! I was told that the easiest way to do that was to reverse the motor leads.What is your thinking on this?

stubbsO

I concur! It's simple, easy, clean, and can be put back to stock without alot of hassles.

phillyreading

I just added a motor kit to an unpowered F-7 A unit and all I did was reverse the motor leads, the two wire plug-in connectors. In my kit the only problem was that the motor was missing it's red dot, so I had to see which way to wire it was forward or reverse.
If you get the motor kit for an upgrade, the new motors run faster than the old Williams F-7 motors, even wired straight(the old motors) from a bridge rectifier.
My problem with the older Williams F-7 diesels is that after sitting for over 45 minutes the F-7 would start in reverse, even when locked into forward, so I did as somebody on CTT said to do & that was to wire the motors straight to a bridge rectifier because the motors are DC(direct current) not AC.

Lee F.

3rail

Dear Tom,

You can either reverse the leads on both motors, or unmount the trucks and swap the positions of the motors without rewiring them.  That can be a hassle on some locomotive due to the mounting position of the reverse board.  The easiest fix is on  the FMs, SD-45's and FP-45's; the cab will mount in either direction.

Regards,

3rail