Big Power on the Tuscarora Railroad (K-27 makeover)

Started by Kevin Strong, November 09, 2009, 03:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Strong

Ya know, put some paint and weathering on it, and that K-27 turns into a real nice lookin' locomotive! ;)

For a full account and more photos, go here: http://tinyurl.com/TRRMikado10

Later,

K

mudhen

Boy, do you do excellent work.
Wish and I need to learn your painting skills. Can do the rest, but I'm still Leary, I will muck up all my work, but weathering bring out so much more detail.
Any advice and thanks in advance

Kevin Strong

Quote from: mudhen on November 09, 2009, 07:02:03 PM
Wish and I need to learn your painting skills. Can do the rest, but I'm still Leary, I will muck up all my work, but weathering bring out so much more detail.

Next time you're at a train show, pick up an old beater flat car or something inexpensive. Then just play around with it. I don't use anything real fancy--mostly just cheap acrylics from the craft store and Bragdon's weathering powders. Washes are nice because they settle down into the crevices to bring out the detail (such as on the wood) and also tend to pool up around rivets and other details to make them pop a bit, too. The powders are nice for highlighting or an overall coating of dust. Just look at photos of the prototypes and have at it. If it gets looking too ugly, let it dry, spray the car again with some spray paint, and have another go.

I wrote up some of my weathering techniques in Garden Railways I think last year or something as part of my GR Basics column series on repainting locomotives.

Later,

K

Charlie Mutschler

Beautiful work, Kevin.  Cutting down the cab and tender gives a great deal of similarity to the OR&L's K-28 near-clones.  Your full discussion on the other board was very nice. 

Thanks!
Charlie Mutschler
-30-