News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Shay Engines

Started by Pacific Northern, October 13, 2009, 05:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific Northern

I recently received a book based on the mining areas along the BC / US boundary.  (Steam Along the Boundary)

There is an article on the three shays purchased by CPR for their mining lines.  These Shays weight is listed at 124 tons and are rated at 225% and have 40" drivers. That is 1 1/2 times the Bachmann Shay at 80 tons.

The pictures show the engines are very similar to the Spectrum Shays with the exception they have cow catcher pilots installed. 

What are the prototypes for the Bachmann Shay?

. What would the driver size be?
Pacific Northern

Stephen D. Richards

The prototype is taken from the Cass Scenic Railroad in West Virginia.  You can check their web site for specific details about their Shays.  The prototype is from Shay Number 5, an 80 ton three truck shay.  A lot of interesting facts on Cass's website.  They have several and most are different size/weight/type.  All are three truck.  They even have the last Shay built by Lima and it is a three truck, 150 ton built for Western Maryland in 1945.  Hope that helps,    Stephen

tac

Don't forget the Roaring Camp [CA] and Prineville [OR] Shays....

tac
www.ovgrs,org

Pacific Northern

Thank you all for the information.

I found the official Shay web page and it turns out all three of the CPR Shays were listed. 

The book I referred to is in error, the Shays are all 80 ton 3 truck engines.  That would certainly explain why the pictures look so similar.

I wonder where the information re: the 124 ton amount came from?
Pacific Northern