News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

not so quite EMD GP40

Started by tford, October 14, 2009, 07:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tford

I just opened and set up my new Digital Commander Train Set to get the feel for how the digital control works. i know that the loc's with this set are not the high end DCC equipment that i want to eventually run; but i thought this would be an easy and cheap way to get started with digital control. the FTA runs smooth and quite at very low speeds and high speeds. the EDM GP40 has a grinding electrical surging sound at low speeds/seems to run fine at higher speeds but still not as quite as the FTA. any ideas or input.

jward

i have sevearl gp40s and a gp50 which has the same drive. all have that noise, similar to running a dc locomotive on pulse power. i don't think there's much you can do about it.

other than the noise, and the lack of a flywheel, does the locomotive run smoothly?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

tford

Thanks for the reply. it does run smooth but not fly wheel smooth that maybe what i was expecting.

jward

yes, it's about as smooth as you can get without a flywheel. i was very impressed when i bought the first one for my son. i am not sure if you can do this on easy command, but on other systems you should be able to set acceleration and ddeceleration to compensate for the lack of a flywheel.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

tford

I have found that with the Digital Command that if you set the controller to an unassigned number and adjusted the speed knob to the desired speed then switch the controller back to the assigned engine slightly adjust the speed knob and the engine will decelerate very smoothly. the instruction book and DVD explained this but i was to anxious to watch the trains go round and round and figured it out after several trials.

mf5117

I first started out with this set .the sante fa gp40 . I had to run it backwards and forwards for awhile at 1st .  like a break in period  it was alittle noisy. the ft-a ran like a champ . although I don't know how long this set was sitting on the shelf either . I lubed and oiled them as well . I use these 2 engines alot .and never had any problems . right now my layout is down and apart . trying some different things . due to space . I use the gp40 that came with the set , for my test runs . and it takes alot of abuse and still keeps going  . I have 5 of them plus a dummy . very reliable.

CNE Runner

One cannot underestimate the value of 'running in' and engine. All too often a locomotive will be taken directly out of the box and entered into 'revenue service'. Generally speaking, most new locomotives are sufficiently lubricated. The problem arises with a gear set that was assembled and not trued (run such that the gear surfaces mate with each other).

Using an elliptical track pattern (a circle puts a lot of strain/friction on wheel flanges...which is transferred to the gear system and motor); allow the engine to run 15 minutes in each direction. Check the engine for overheating. After a short 'cool down' run the engine for 30 minutes in each direction. After appropriate 'rest periods' gradually increase the run in time to an hour in each direction (although, admittedly, this is overkill). If you listen carefully, to the engine's sound, it should not only run quieter - but faster at the same throttle setting. Caveat: a noisy, properly lubricated locomotive will generally always be a 'noisy runner'.

I have a Bachmann GP35 that was properly run in and it is reasonably quiet...a good runner. My new Bachmann Plymouth switcher has never been run in and sounds like it is mixing cement...it too will be a good machine after an appropriate run in.
Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"

BestSnowman

I agree with breaking it in, the GP40 I got out of the Digital Commander set has gotten a lot better over time.
-Matthew Newman
My Layout Blog

Jim Banner

I agree with Ray 99%.  But I prefer a figure eight for running in.  This makes sure that the locomotive runs in evenly for both left turns and right turns as well as straights.  I don't have enough room for a dedicated break in track but it is quick and easy to set one up using E-Z Track.

Jim

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

tford

I appreciate all the information i have gotten in the few weeks i have used this form. i have also recently visited a locale train club that has moved to a much larger location and they are just getting started on building all new bigger and better layouts. i will be joining soon to take advantage of the experience they will give me in all areas of modeling

CNE Runner

Holy gear train Batman (I mean Jim), I never thought of using a figure 8!! You are correct (as usual) in saying a figure 8 fully 'exercises' a locomotive by making it turn to the left as well as the right. Just when I thought I knew everything I learn something new. All kidding aside Jim: great suggestion.

Ray
"Keeping my hand on the throttle...and my eyes on the rail"