News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Maximum grade for 2-8-0

Started by cochoochoo, April 13, 2007, 12:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cochoochoo

I am designing an On30 layout and I would like to know if a 4% grade is too much for the 2-8-0.

scottychaos

4% is too much for anything.

unless you dont mind running a lot of trains that are 2 cars long.

universally accepted rule of thumb for all model railroad since the dawn of time is, keep it under 2% maximum.

maybe 3% for a logging line pulled by Shays.

four is right out.

Scot

amdaylight

Quote from: cochoochoo on April 13, 2007, 12:52:37 PM
I am designing an On30 layout and I would like to know if a 4% grade is too much for the 2-8-0.

No probably not, the RGS had some 4% grades but as Scott said the C-16s were limited to 5 cars. What you might do is put 2 sections of flex track on a board and raise one end to see what your 2-8-0 will do and then make your own decision. If your board is 6’ long you would raise on end approximately 3”, a good rule of thumb is 1/8” per foot of rise is 1%. You will be a little off but not enough to matter.

Have Fun

Andre :)

eric

I did some grade tests using elevated flex track as suggested above.  I had a 16 foot run.  The highest grade I tried was 3.25%.  The cars were out-of-the box Bachmann cars.

The Bachmann 2-8-0 pulled 8 passenger cars or 15 freight cars up the grade and was accelerating.  I didn't try more cars because I didn't have any more. 

The BLI 2-8-0 pulled 6-7 passenger cars or 15 freight cars.  The passenger cars were a slight struggle, but the engine would have pulled a freight car or 2 more.

Based on the performance of other engines I tried, it appears that a rise in grade of 1% results in a decreased hauling capability of 2/3 cars.  A decrease of 1% added 2/3 cars.

I tried adding an 18 inch radius curve at the bottom and performance dropped by a car and the engine slowed until most of the cars were around the curve. 

There were variations among engines of the same type.  Results may vary.

Hope this helps.

Eric Root 

cochoochoo

Okay, thanks for the replies.  It sounds like I had best build a test track and see exactly what my locos can pull.  I had already figured 5 or 6 cars would be the max load.  That fits in with my layout design.  I could plan on running double headers I guess.

Chris