News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Thomas??

Started by smcgill, November 02, 2009, 08:16:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calenelson

Well, if my kids are Excited on Christmas Morning as I am right now...it'll all be Hunky-Dory

The Man in the Brown Truck dropped the box off earlier as reported just a bit ago here on The Bachmann fora...I had to lock myself in the rec-room with my camera, some track, and a few parts....you may notice below that this Loco is HUGE!!!!  He dwarfs a LGB Box Car, and our HLW Mack...not sure where scale will come in to play here, but if it runs as nice as it looks-Bachmann has a winner.

This is a TOY TRAIN!  no back-head detail, no rivets, nada....just a beautiful little blue locomotive that looks just like the latest CG interpretation.

Annie and Clarabell are nice as well...NO detail there either, again folks, this is first and foremost a TOY!  the roofs are held on by gravity, and there are no seats. 

Packaging is nice too, looks "Just like" any other Thomas box you'd see at toy retailers! 

I did my best to get a few shots and upload without spoiling the surprise for my kids...did not run it...may try that after they go to bed tonight.

looks like a RC/Battery conversion will be a snap as well...without looking inside, it all seems hollow-and very lightweight, still may consider a trail install in Annie?  Side-rods are plastic.  The roof is removable!

Merry Christmas!

Cale

Jon D. Miller

Here's a link to my GRBLOG.  First item posted deals with Thomas.

http://www.grblogs.com/index.php/2009/11/20/thomas-the-tank-aamp-percy?blog=4

It contains tabulated data on the locomotive.  Some may find it of interest.

Outside/In Review has been completed.  It will be published by LSOL in its weekly E-Magazine. 

As Cale points out, and since I've had the locomotive apart, there is plenty of space for a RC receiver, sound and batteries.

One of the "Enthusiastic Children"

JD
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

andyb

Quote from: calenelson on November 30, 2009, 02:27:59 PM
....you may notice below that this Loco is HUGE!!!!  He dwarfs a LGB Box Car, and our HLW Mack...not sure where scale will come in to play here, but if it runs as nice as it looks-Bachmann has a winner.
Cale

I suppose as Thomas is a standard gauge loco running on 45mm gauge track, the scale ought to be 1/32nd or 10mm to the foot?

Andy

Joe Satnik

Dear JD,

In your blog I believe you measured the wheel "back-to-back" but reported it as the "gauge".

Dear Andy,

I asked the same question a few months ago.  Kind of gave up on the thought for these reasons:

1.  Where can you find the prototypes to measure, or accurate data?

2.  Do you really want to compare to the prototypes, or should it be to the models used in the TV/film production?

3.  How many wide-eyed awestruck 4-year-olds carry around measuring calipers in their back pockets?

I'd just call it "rubber scale/45mm gauge" and call it a (fun) day (for the kids). 

Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Joe is right- let's just call it "T Scale"!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Jon D. Miller

Joe,

QuoteDear JD,

In your blog I believe you measured the wheel "back-to-back" but reported it as the "gauge".

Thanks, It's been corrected.

JD

doug c

Enjoyed the review of the product on LSOL  !

doug c
"G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! "     djc'99

Jon D. Miller

QuoteEnjoyed the review of the product on LSOL  !

doug c

Thanks Doug.  Seven days from delivery to publication of the review.  LSOL does try to bring Team LSOL members information in a timely manner.  And they don't guess what's inside; they look.

JD

calenelson

Quote from: Jon D. Miller on December 02, 2009, 04:14:46 PM
QuoteEnjoyed the review of the product on LSOL  !

doug c

Thanks Doug.  Seven days from delivery to publication of the review.  LSOL does try to bring Team LSOL members information in a timely manner.  And they don't guess what's inside; they look.

JD

Choices...

For near $40 one could pay to be on a Team (1/5 the purchase price with shipping of set in question)...

...or toss the extra required bucks with that and order their own Thomas starter set,  be running it in less than 7 days, and enjoying the free to read fourms.

cale

...opening it up themselves would be optional.  I guess I'll get around to that soon enough-

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Let's keep this thread on the merits of Thomas!
Thanks!
the Bach-man

Loco Bill

The "T" Scale idea is great.   ;D  The Thomas T Scale line by Bachamnn is going to be a hit with Kids of all ages :).  Myt grandaughter says thank you to Bachamnn for making him  :-*  :-* .   Grandpa has a great time playing Thomas with her!   What can be better than that!!!   Neither she or I are worried about scale guage demensions, just having fun!!

Happy holdiays to all and have fun in Sodor!!!!
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products

calenelson

Call it whatever scale you like!

I agree Bill, this thing should be a HIT (excuse the pun).

No surprise they are already listed on Ebay (for more than most mail retailers are selling)...Amazon too-Ouch!

Bach-man will any effort be made to introduce this set to stores like Toys r us, Target, or etc...?  Or will it remain the LHS job to carry?  I remember the glossy magazine ads from LGB that I thought would always looked swell in the Southern Living or Family Fun magazine...

again, Bmann, Nice Job!

edit follows....got into it, really easy!

Here are some photos....Stealthily I rushed up the stairs, un boxed, removed some screws and took a couple of pics

Yeah, this is all the ele involved!

side view from right rear corner, Motor, Heat-sink, gear/eye mech

looking down under the motor into the bottom end

From front right corner looking back, eye/gear mech

Room for stuff, oh joy!

side view with body removed...

birds eye of guts....top end

Drive Gear on Center, Blind Driver...

Complete Drive Shot...

All 3 axles have at least 1/4" to 3/8" side-play..1100 compatible!

there you go, gotta get back to the kids!  the pics can speak for themselves.

Nice and Simple, Thanks Bachmann!

Cale

cale

Nathan

The first of 3 sets I have on order [ 1 for my self and 2 for our club ] arrived today, just in time for our Xmas show at the Museum.  Did a quick check on it, works good.  Will have it operational this weekend.  Looking forward to the Percy sets!!

Rickenbacker 325

Is it in mentor OH. We are the Western Reserve Model Railroad Museum. and we have our Christmas show tomorrow Sat. Dec. 5 and Sun Dec. 6.

tac

Quote from: the Bach-man on December 01, 2009, 11:17:30 PM
Dear All,
Joe is right- let's just call it "T Scale"!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

Bachmann - the designator 'T' scale has already been taken by the near microscopic 1/450 scale Japanese models made by KK Eishindo.

You'll have to think again.

tac
www.ovgrs.org