Scale 55 - Modeling 3 foot narrow gauge on HO track

Started by hminky, November 02, 2009, 10:28:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hminky

On3's original beginnings were OO mechanisms, and was displayed in a 1946 Jack Alexander Model Railroader article.

Harold

ebtnut

The answer to Glenn's question is, "Why not?"  Re:  On3, we're still using those same OO standards today.  Note that this was U.S. OO, where the track gauge and the models matched, not the UK OO, where the models are 4mm scale but run on HO gauge (3.5mm scale) track.

hminky

If there hadn't been "real" OO or narrowed S scale mechanisms, how long would it been before there was any On3. Jack Alexander's modeling was truly revolutionary in 1946

Besides "There is no SCALE", the object is what it measures"

Harold

rayport

The real question is : Does anyone care? This scale/guage argument has/can go on for ever. We narrow guage fans at last have a great, affordable supplier in Bachmann who supply most of what we need in a manner well suited to the prototype. There were 30 inch guage railroads, some very successful and almost all the narrow guage lines depended on second hand equipment which quite likely had to be modified to suit the new line - even to the extent, often, of re-guaging. So variations in dimensions is quite prototypical. It is fine to keep things alive by suggesting new scales to use with existing model guages but lets not get too serious about changing Bachmann ON30 as it exists today.

hminky

What scale/gauge argument?

I really don't care whether anyone models On30-Sn3-On3, etc.. I am just suggesting a way to model 3 foot narrow gauge on HO track.

I am lucky now that there are models that can be adapted, they weren't available 10-20-30 years ago.

There were NO 30 inch gauge COMMON CARRIER railroads in America.

If you aren't bothered by the spatial disparity in On30 and the lack of "golden age" locomotives, please move along, there is nothing to see here. You can paint everything pink and letter it for the Giggle and Heehaw for all I care. I never suggested that this idea is for everyone.

Harold

rayport

Yes, but there were many miles of 30 inch guage and other narrow gauge railroads outside of North America. A fine point that just about all the North American manufactures noted and made good use of. There is another thread going on World War I and II equipment and where it ended up (some of which is still running). Many of us old time modellers like to enjoy narrow guage railroading without being tied down to what some road might have done lo those many years ago. Model Railroading is FUN. Let us keep it that way.

hminky

If it is fun, why are you on my thread arguing, please move along, there is nothing to see here.

I DON'T care what you are doing, this thread is about something else.

Harold

rayport

No argument, just trying to nudge you to answer Glen,K28 question : WHY.
Why adjust the scale to the guage, when there is a well establish and much easier correction of adjusting the guage to the scale? People have been widening Bachmann's ON30 stock to ON3 for almost as long as it has been on the market. Most is well suited to doing this, rather than the inside frame 4-4-0 being the only locomotive well suited to going the other way. If this is something other than an advertisement for your new web site please explain.

hminky

I want small 3 foot narrow gauge 4-4-0's typical of the "narrow gauge era". There are only 4-4-0's in Sn3 readily available and $500 bucks is out of my league. There are HO mechanisms available to make small 55n3 foot narrow gauge prototypes. The small On30 4-4-0's fit this bill, suprisingly. The 5.5mm/ft is actually a great size.

Why would I care whether you visit my website? I don't make any money off a website. Any articles in it have no commercial value. It is only there if you think the idea is neat and need info. Just looking for a fellow traveler or two who agrees.

I had over 500,000 individual visitors at the old On30 site, so I really don't need a website to fuel my ego.

As someone said also, why not.

Harold

Ken

Quote from: hminky on November 05, 2009, 01:53:08 PM

I

Harold

Strange Bachmann would build a OF 2-8-0 used in common carrier service in North America Ferrocarril de Mexicano operated on the Zacatlan branchline.

Ken
    GWN

hminky

Quote from: NarrowMinded on November 05, 2009, 10:24:27 PM
Yikes, looks like a sissy slap fight in here, i'll just back slowly out of the room.

YOU better back away quickly, this sissy has a big slap!!!!!

He STARTED it, He STARTED it!!! ::)

Harold

hminky

Quote from: Ken on November 05, 2009, 10:37:36 PM
Quote from: hminky on November 05, 2009, 01:53:08 PM

I

Harold

Strange Bachmann would build a OF 2-8-0 used in common carrier service in North America Ferrocarril de Mexicano operated on the Zacatlan branchline.

Ken
    GWN

I said AMERICA, meaning the US of A!!! USof A!!!! US of A!!!!

Harold

Jim Banner

Harold,
I am following your discussion of scale 55 with great interest, and I agree with much of what you are saying.  But I just can't let your usurpation of the name "America" pass.  Even if you include Mexico with Central America, the US of A is still less than half of North America.  About 79,000 square kilometres less.  That would be the total area of seven or eight of your states less than the other half.  So how does the smaller part of the continent lay claim to the name of the whole?

As you know, the USA is only one of many federations around the world.  But most of the others have names for their countries like "Austria" or "Brazil" or "Canada," all the way down to "Venezuela."  The only other country that comes to mind as having no proper name is the other USA, the Union of South Africa.  Again, a description rather than a real name.  But I have never heard them call their country "Africa."

Harold, I hope you realize I am just pushing your buttons.  We Canadians have no desire to call ourselves "the United Provinces of America" and take back the name "America," (as in British North America.)  We already have a proper name for our country and are quite happy with it.  But on the other hand, please do not be offended when Canadians and the citizens of some 20 more countries call themselves "Americans."  I mean, if you ask a fellow you have just met if he is an American and he replies "Yes, I am an American.  I come for Suriname," it would be nicer to start a discussion on bauxite futures than to start an argument on whether or not he is an American.

Time to get back to scale 55 (with no stinking letters.)  Don't let the turkeys get you down - remember - Thanksgiving is coming.

Jim 
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

hminky

Thanks Jim, I will remember that in the future about the term America.  Old habits die hard. When I went to school the world was much bigger. Fortunately it has grown smaller.

There is always "trolling" on the internet. I have got it on all the forums in this topic. It is easy to be negative if the person is always anonymous.

Harold

PS: Figured out why I was using "America" and not US. Have Hilton's American Narrow Gauge Railroads sitting on the coffe table. Old minds work that way.

Joe Satnik

Dear All,

I'm gonna hijack this thread back to topic.  Sorry. 

I have thought of a name for this scale.  Since it is 1:55 or 5.5 mm/ft, how about FF, or Dublef, e.g. FFn3

Kind of a cross between Dublo (OO) and F = Fifteen mm/foot.

It would be interesting to compare the (various HO gauge) rail codes (heights) to prototypical 3 foot gauge rail heights. 

Is there a rail weight (lb/yard) to height conversion formula or table to reference?

Peeking over the edge of the Abyss....with a mirror on the end of a 10 foot long pole..

Joe Satnik
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.