News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

H.O. curves

Started by phillyreading, November 03, 2009, 04:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillyreading

I was just curious does anybody make a curve in H.O. smaller than 15 inch radius?
I am wanting to do a small H.O. layout and so far the smallest track I can come up with is 15 inch curves. Have very limited space for a layout.

Lee F.

lmackattack

I have not seen any less than 15". you could buy flex track and make your own....   however  that may be a nightmare at the joints?

Atlantic Central

Lee,

Many HO trains will not run on 15" radius, few if any will run on anything smaller. That is why no one makes smaller curves than that.

Sounds like you should try N scale.

Sheldon

SteamGene

Lee Sheldon is correct.  And even flex track has its built in minimum.  I tried using flex track for 22 inch curves on my 4x8 and dropped the idea and used sectional track. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ABC

It is tough to do anything smaller than 18 to 22" with flex track. I agree that 15" with flex track will be very difficult. You're best bet is using 15" sectional track. With 15" radius curves you are limited to motive power that is 2 axles or perhaps a trolley with 4 axles or even a switcher with 3 axles if you're really lucky. All of your cars must be under 40 foot to run on 15" radius (so you're limited to  mostly Old-time cars and 40' boxcars).

pdlethbridge

or, if you have the time, hand lay your own track.   

Mike

Lee- It is not the best thing in the world, but I have made a small circle of 12 inch radius by soldering flex track rail while it was straight and then carefully wrapping it around a form. I have a little 0-4-0 Pemco tank engine that runs fine around it. It as a definite challenge, but I managed to get consistently good operation from it.- Mike

lmackattack

alot of 2 axe HOl logging engines will do 14"  even some shays will make it. I think a 2 axel 1800s small steamer would do as much as 11" but it will not like it!!!!!

jbsmith

I agree with Sheldon.
If the layout you have in mind is a small as you are suggesting, go with
"N" scale.
In HO scale,with true grit and determination it may be Possible to do that,
but  you are asking for grief and angst with curves that tight.
I think even a gandy dancer would have trouble on curves that tight.

Anyways,,,Good luck!

pdlethbridge

9" or 11" Radius in N scale would keep you under the 2' width size.

phillyreading

I appreciate all the replies, thank you! This is what I have done, I am using flextrack for curves under 15 inches but limit the amount of curves because I found out too that very little runs through tight curves. Also I have cut done some older style Atlas H.O. switches, taken some track off the ends that won't matter with the switching operation of the switch, to make some tight clearances work a little better.
For me N scale is way too small!

Lee F.