News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Semi-Scale GG1 Questions

Started by EIS, November 05, 2009, 12:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EIS

I have the Golden Memory GG1.  It is a terrific engine.  I have a couple questions.

1) The whistle is extremely loud.  Is there an adjustment pot on the sound board where I can lower the sound level?

2) Both engine lights are very dim at running speeds.  Is there some way to make them brighter?

Thank You...
Earl

EIS

I modified the wiring to run the motors in series to gain more slow speed control and give more voltage to the light bulbs.  The lights are brighter, but not as bright as the light on my Williams Berkshire, which has constant brightness.

When I removed the shell, two broken black bands, about 1" diameter, fell out.  They look like traction tires.  I am guessing that they probably went around the two motors and held wires in place.  What is the purpose of the bands and where do they go?  The engine is running fine without the bands.  Are they necessary?

I would still like to reduce the sound level of the horn.  It is obnoxiously loud.

Earl

DominicMazoch

I have used RS bulbs, which seem to give a brighter light.

There are some LED lights which will fit into the light socket.

EIS

Thank you for the reply.  I am slowly solving the dim headlight problem.  The light bulbs are mounted about a half inch below the lens.  I have moved them up and that has improved the brightness.  The next problem is the lens is too opaque.  I will look for replacement lens at the next train show I attend.

I really think Bachmann should address the low light bulb mounting.  It is an easy manufacturing fix.

Earl

phillyreading

There should be a small adjustment that can be made with a small flat tip screwdriver, the piece that is to be adjusted has a small hole in a circular piece and looks like an old style tv volume switch.
The F-7 B units I have had a place to adjust the volume on the circuit board, looked like a small tv volume switch mounted on the QSI circuit board.
As for adjusting the brightness of the headlight you can put in a lower voltage bulb, anything under nine volts will burn out quick.

Lee F.

EIS

Lee, Thank you for the reply.  I could not find a volume pot on the circuit board, but I did not look real close.  Nothing obvious, but I will look for it again the next time I have the shell off.

I think I have the light as bright as I can get it with the current lens.  Both lights are very bright with the shell off.  The engine cruises at about 10 VAC so that is probably the voltage the lights are seeing.

The bulbs had to be raised about 1/2" to line up with the lens.  The opaque lens is preventing a lot of light from getting through.  I will look for a clearer lens at the next train show I attend.

BTW, what happened to the Bachmann representatives that usually give definitive answers to our questions?  They should certainly know if the sound level can be adjusted.

That GG1 sure is a nice engine.  It is very smooth, has great pulling power, and runs like a champ.  I've asked Santa for either an FM Trainmaster or a Santa Fe F-3 A-A set in the Williams Golden Memory series.  All of my Williams engines are great runners.

Earl