News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 and Woodland Scenic tunnel portals

Started by SteamGene, April 15, 2007, 06:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteamGene

Will a Bachmann 2-6-0 and passenger cars fit inside a Woodland Scenic tunnel face?  My wife wants to run her Christmas train on VT&P trackage at the proper time of year.
Since she paid for the building, I find it hard to say "No."  ;D
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

scottychaos

im confused..
it sounds like you have the locomotive, (owned by the wife) and the tunnel!
(on the VT&P railroad)
why not just run the loco toward the tunnel and see what happens?  ;)

or..if you dont have the tunnel and the locomotive together, what size woodland scenics tunnel do you mean?
a quick glance at their webpage shows 6 different HO tunnel portals.

http://www.woodlandscenics.com/items.htm/TunnelPortals

Scot

SteamGene

All the tunnels on the Blueridge Sub are single track.  As to style, they are concrete or stone.
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

the Bach-man

Dear Gene,
On the Riley's Run display I used S Scale portals from Pre-Size. HO portals are too small.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

ebtbob

Gene,

I have followed the B Man's lead on the PreSize S scale portals.   They really are a nice fitfor On30 equipment.   I also have so stone portals from Chooch.   With them I cut off the bottom 3 courses of stone to get an appearence I liked.   BTW....the Chooch portals are only about 1/2 inch thick as opposed to the inch thick portals from Pre Size.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

randerson

The Bach Man, & EBTBob,

Do either of you have a URL for Pre Size?   I was unable to find them with a Google search.

Thanks,

Rich

Jonathan MacCormack

Try Yahoo:

Telephone......402-337-0424

www.presize.com

Type into" yahoo" search line....pre size...ifno appears.

Jonathan

Jonathan MacCormack

TYPO....

above....".ifno" should be "info".

Sorry,

J

Guilford Guy

Another great invention on the  new boards is the edit feature ;)
Alex

randerson

Jonathon,

www.presize.com gets you some other site!    However www.pre-size.com works, it just needs the dash in the URL.

Cheers,

Rich

Jonathan MacCormack

Rich,

Thanks for the correction.

In my effort to hurry and be of help, I goofed.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Guilford,

Thanks for the note.

J

ginzokid

Walther's catalog for Big Trains should have the portals.
The Ginzokid

MountAiryBob

New to the board and found this thread addressing a problem I have struggled with.

Although it was a little bit of work, I "kit-bashed" a Woodland Scenics double track HO portal to make a single track On30 portal.   I made a RTV mold of the original and then made Hydrocal castings of the double track portal.   It was these castings that I modified by cutting out a piece at the top of the arch approximately the width of the keystone.   The cut had to be relatively perpedicular to the top of the portal so that the two pieces when joined mated properly.    I then carved out a slot for a new keystone at the top of the arch and clued the a keystone back in place.   The resulting new opening was reduced by the width of the keystone from the double track version.   I also added three courses of block cut from another casting to each side of the portal to increase the height clearance of the opening.   Once some cosmetic cleanup was done to conceal the joint lines, a new RTV mold was made of the resulting portal.   I can now create as many castings of the On30 compatible portal  as I need.

A lot of work...yup.    Why...just because I wanted to.....and that's what our hobby is all about anyway.

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

As the B Man says,  the Pre Size S scale portals are a good fit for On30.  Here is a pic of a Pre Size timber portal over one of my MMI k27.   The portal is not altered in anyway.

[img][http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures/14688/thumbnails/Narrow%20Gauge%20021.jpg/img]

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress

ebtbob

Sorry abut that,  I see that the one img tag is missing something,  let me try again

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress