News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

On30 and Woodland Scenic tunnel portals

Started by SteamGene, April 15, 2007, 06:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ebtbob

Good Morning again,

Sorry for the mulitple posts as I do not know how to put more than one pic in a message.   Here is a Chooch O scale stone portal.   I cut the bottom three rows of stone off to bring the arch closer to the track.  It is total of about an inch and a half cut off.

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org

kendoitall

Thanks much for the photos. It will save me trouble of checking the two protals out.
Standards? STANDARDS? We don't need no stinking standards!

ebtbob

Good Morning All,

I want to follow up with the pix I posted with a bit more info on these two portals.    The Pre-Size,  S scale timber portal is about an inch thick and more light weight than the Chooch portal.   You may not be able to tell,  but out of the package,   you can use it as is with no further coloring or weathering,  although it would not take much to spruce it up a bit more.   I like the thickness of it because I can drill holes in the bottoms of the "legs" then put a small nail into the layout base and sit the portal down on the nails to hold it in place.
       BTW....if you like the Pre-Size portal or any of their other products such as retaining walls etc.  you may want to start storing up now.   I went to their website yesterday and the company is up for sale.
       The Chooch O scale store portal can also be used straight out of the box.   The only reason I cut off three rows of store was I thought,  visually that the arch was too high above my largest engines,  my MMI K27s.   The smoke weathering you see on the portal was done by the manufacturer.
This portal is about half the thickness of the Pre-Size so I will have to try to make something that can go on the back of the portal "legs" so I can employ the nail application to hold it in place.   I like my portals to be removeable if possible to allow me to reach into a tunnel for maintenence if necessary.  The Chooch portal is made of a resin(I guess) that is much harder than the Pre-Size portal and drilling into it could be a chore.
        The only thing I wish was available from Chooch is a blasted rock portal like they have in HO scale.
         Anyway......there is my info.   I would highly recommend either of these manufacturers to you, 

Bob
Bob Rule, Jr.
Hatboro, Pa
In God We Trust
Not so much in Congress
GATSME MRRC - www.gatsme.org