News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Street Running

Started by Cody J, November 10, 2009, 01:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody J

I am planning a new layout using Bachmann EZ-Track with the roadbed. How do I make street running?

cody
CSX Mt. Storm Subdivision- Freemont, West Virginia

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk49/trainsrock96/

Cody J

I think I have figured it out. Before I explain it, I'll share some background info. The street running will be going through the middle of my small town, Freemont. It will be servicing the freight station there. There will be a turnout connecting to the mainline to start the street running. After the turnout is a 9 inch straight, an 18 inch radius curve piece, 4 9 inch straights and a buffer. I am thinking of digging a "ditch" where the track is to lower it to street level. And to raise it back up to normal height the 18 inch curve and the 9 inch straight closest to the turnout will be on a grade to raise the height of the track.
Will this work?

thanks,
cody

James Thomas

Digging a ditch would probably work, but why not raise the town to be level with the track -- and avoid a dip in the track?

-JRT

Cody J

That would probably work.

thanks

kevin2083

Seems like it would be easier to use some track without the roadbed. Use the 18"r curve and the 9" straight like you said for the transition from the roadbed on the EZ track to the table and that should look pretty good.

You can get sectional track just about anywhere without roadbed, or if you're REALLY careful (and patient) you can seperate the ties from the plastic roadbed on the EZ track. I messed up the first time I tried it, but discovered using a putty knife makes things go much smoother.

Not saying this is what you have to do, just some input.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

jward

to get the transition you want, i'd take another route. at lowes or home depot they sell wooden shims that are tapered. the thick end of the shim is a bit more than 1/4" (the thickness of cork roadbed and probably ez track roadbed as well.) you can plane the whole thing down to get a nice even grade with the thick end of the shim matching up to your ez track, then lay some non roadbed track down the shim and through the street.

you might also wish to look into woodland scenics incline starters. i believe you can get them in 2%, 3% and 4% grades. 3% works out roughly to 1/4" rise per 9" section of track. the inclines are styrofoam, and would need to be glued down, but they'd provide an easy way to get your track down to street level.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Rather than dig a hole for the track, bring the street level up.
Lay your EZ Track, then use two levels of 1/4" WS foam to raise the area where the town will be.
Put one sheet of 1/4" foam next to the track. Then use another sheet of 1/4" foam on top of it. With the second sheet, you can butt it up closer to the rails.
You can bevel the top sheet edge to get it closer to the rails.
Where the track leaves the town, you can sand the foam so that it gradually slopes down and the track bed will become exposed again.

Feel like a Mogul.