How to identify trains still in boxes w/o markings

Started by noncngdriver, November 12, 2009, 12:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noncngdriver

I have (1) engine and (5) pieces of rollings stock which I can't Identify. The boxes do not have any markings of any kind on the outer right flap. Please help!!! I am a beginner to the hobby and I'm doing my home work to find out which trains are TRASH and which trains are the best w/o breaking the bank! I'm embarking on a new hobby w/ my son and we want to do it right the 1st time. I know that in anything we do there is a entrance and a professional level, we'd like to come in some where in the middle. I know I'm on a Bachmann MB, but I have some Life Like trains which have the same flap to the right of the see thru plastic, to show name and model #. The (6) pieces I have don't have this info. Very, very, very excited about this new adventure, can't wait to hear from the MB, THANKS!
I hope and pray that as we play, we remember that we should always have funn!!! If U can't have funn there's no need 2 play or stay a child @ heart! God bless and have funn w Ur choo choo!!!

NarrowMinded

Do you know what scale they are? can you post some pictures? there is someone here that can help but as they say a picture is worth a thousand words, if you cant get pictures to post here you can email them to me  and I'd be happy to post them here.

NM

jbsmith

to help to get  your learning knowledge going..I think one thing you want to is about quality,,Best for the $$$.

oh, yeah ,,welcome aboard!

I'll run the risk of assuming you are talking about HO scale.
I'll stick to the  more commonly found name brands

You mention Life Like so i'll start there.
Life Like trains themselves,,I consider them, IMHO to be inexpensive "entry"
or "introductory" level trains for young kids.
Young kids tend to rough on things break things,,so if it is a LL and it gets
broken it is not like he broke a $200 locomotive or a $25 box car.
    Same principle with the kids interest,,he will take to it like a duck to water
or he will not. If not the blow to your bank account is not as severe.
If he does develop an interest and quickly learns to take good care of the
trains, then eventually step up to next levels of quality.

Model Power--Mixed lot,,not great but not bad,,one interesting thing is they
offer all Metal Trains in HO.
I have not had much experience with MPs' Trains,,so i'll someone who has had experience give a more accurate account.

Bachmann
- Spectrum is Bachmanns top of the line trains. Consider these
"Daddys Trains only" depending on how young your son is,,your call there. Good stuff.
Bachmann-Middle of the road mostly,,not dirt cheap but not very expensive either.Very good quality for the price always a good choice.
Excellent range of Steam Locomotives at reasonable prices.

Atlas
Like Bachmann there is two levels.
Atlas is like Bachmanns' Spectrum, the top of their line.
Atlas Trainman-Is the much less expensive version but still of very good quality.

Athearn
Again two levels.
Athearn Genesis- top of the line
Athearn-Athearn, my old stand by,This is  the stuff i use as a measuring stick to measure up all others, always a good choice.

jbsmith

Post Photos of your trains! that will really help us to ID your trains..
otherwise the best we can do is speculate

Don't worry about always being right the first time,,making mistakes is a Big Part of the learning proccess, you also tend to never forget those lessons learned from mistakes.

bobwrgt

Life Like PROTO AND HERITAGE series are some of the best engines you can get for the money. Walthers now ownes them.
I'll take any ATLAS, KATO, OR PROTO over ATHEARN any day.
Bachmann spectrum diesel engines are great for everyone including kids.
Athearn blue box engines are like tanks. Great for the kids bulit like a rock with very little detail to break.

Bob

noncngdriver

NarrowMinded: I'm sorry I took so long 2 get back 2U! I'm N a new club and have so many things going I can't keep my head on straight!!! As U C, I don't have pics yet 2 send U, but I also am very new 2 this Mb thing! I think now that I'm part of a club tho, most of the members R old timers and can ID everything I have. Thanx anyway, and happy railroading!!!
Aaron
I hope and pray that as we play, we remember that we should always have funn!!! If U can't have funn there's no need 2 play or stay a child @ heart! God bless and have funn w Ur choo choo!!!

Len

I will also assume you're talking about HO cars. Most modern cars come with some version of knuckle couplers installed. They look like real couplers. Older cars generally had "horn hool" couplers, which don't look like the real thing, and have a "horn" sticking out to one side.

If the cars couplers are horn hook, mounted to the wheel assembly (truck mounted), and held in place by a pin that pops into a small hole, they are most likely older Tyco, Life-Like, or Model Power cars.

The cars themselves are decent entry level cars, but the trucks aren't so great. At a minimum you'll want to replace the horn hook couplers with knuckle types, and put metal wheels on them. Eventually you may want to completely replace the trucks and body mount the couplers, but that not essential to get started.

The simplest way to change the couplers is with Life-Like 'SceneMaster' couplers from Walthers. A 20 pack is PN 433-1427, a 4 pack is PN 433-1436. The 20 pack is a good deal. These couplers have the same small hole as the original horn hooks. Another option is to use Kadee 212 Talgo Adaptors and Bachmann EZ-Mate or Kadee #5's with the larger hole generally used in cars with body mount coupler boxes.

Metal wheels are available from Intermountain, Kadee, and Life-Like Proto. Most freight cars use 33in wheels, and passenger cars use 36in wheel. There are a few exceptions to this, but most older cars hold to this.

If the couplers are body mounted, and have a fairly large hole, the cars are most likely Athearn, MDC/Roundhouse, or Bowser.

Most, but not all, locomotives have the manufacturer's name somewhere on the bottom of the loco. If it just says "Made in Austria" then it's probably a Roco made for what I call a "Toys-R-Us" set. They also made locos sold under the AHM brand name. On diesels, if you turn it over and there are four holes with white plastic plugs in them it's an Athearn.

Oh! If the track is the old brass stuff, you may want to consider replacing it with nickle silver track. Brass works, but you'll constantly be cleaning it to keep your trains running. Which is why they don't make it any more.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jettrainfan

This is just my opinion but as cheap as the life-like 0-4-0 is, i've seen it derail, fall off the table, and puff out smoke due to DCC (NOT GOOD!). And some how its still alive. Amazing yes but that's because it got maintenance  ;). You might want to consider lubricating at times, it does wonders! ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZL7jR1cRb4             

This is how i got my name and i hope that you guys like it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jettrainfan?feature=mhw4
youtube account