News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Metal wheel sets to replace plastic ones

Started by New ChooChoo, November 16, 2009, 06:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New ChooChoo

I am new to all this HO scale stuff, but I am learning. I just found what I was looking for.. Southern Pacific Daylight passenger cars. They might have plastic wheel sets on them and I want to change them over to metal. I am confused. at the IHC web site, they list RP-25 metal wheel sets for their cars, but they are out of stock and don't have a clue when they will be getting any more in. I see on EBay and at some dealer sites, that they offer RP-25,  31" and 36" wheel sets. I know I need the wheels with the needle point axle ends,but what does the 31# and the 36" mean. Which wheels do I purchase. I believe the carsthat I purchased are Athearns or IHC.

lmackattack

It indacates the wheel size in inches.  many passenger cars use larger wheels but you will need to conferm this first. If uncertain just check your current wheel with a micometer and scale it down to inches. I dont know of a conversion chart online that that will tell you. HO scale is 1/87

Trent

Chris350

I think you want (33" Duh.. shouldn't answer posts in the early am..) 36" diameter wheels for passenger cars.  It doesn't matter whose wheels you replace the plastic ones with as long as the gauge (flange to flange measurement) is correct.  I prefer Intermountian's wheels, but Kadee and others make nice ones. A standards gauge and a 1/87th scale ruler are handy for this sort of thing.  Another tool to look into is from Micro-Mark and is used to ream the journal boxes ( the socket the axel end fit into).  It's a straight forward operation, and a good upgrade.  Lastly, it's a good practice to put the insulated side of the wheel-sets in to the same side of each truck.  When in doubt you can always check with your local train shop.

Jhanecker2

I believe the 36" diameter wheel sets are the ones to use on North American passenger cars &  33 " diameter ones are for most freight cars . By the way Bachmann also sells wheelsets in metal . Please see listing under products .   Some british  cars use 42" diameter wheels  and some of the modern wheelwell intermodal cars use a 31" diameter wheel to reduce overall height.    J2.

Mouse

I just converted several IHC and Rivarossi passenger cars to metal wheels and Kadee couplers. The 36" wheels are what you want. Just be careful as some of the plastic trucks might be too tight on the axles. I corrected the problem with a small drill bit in a pin vise to open the inside of the journal box. Do it slowly and test the wheelset often. You don't want to drill right through the plastic. :o

rich1998

if you are going to do this, get a truck tuner. reboxx has them as does micro mart. if you are going to do a lot of this , get a caliper to measure and compare wheel sets. reboxx, nwsl  and others sell wheelsets. there are many out there if you take time to look around the internet. Many online suppliers also.

http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=tuner
http://www.reboxx.com/
http://www.micromark.com/SearchResult.aspx?deptIdFilter=0&searchPhrase=caliper

consider it a learning experience.

lex

jbsmith

36 inchers?  here are some
http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Proto_2000_HO_36_Flat_Back_Wheelsets_Pack_o_p/920-21257.htm

if you have a nearby LHS they might even have some in stock.

I have used the proto 2000  wheels, 33inchers on my freight cars, good wheels.

Nigel

The one thing not mentioned above is the axle length.  It is NOT standardized.  They range from under 1.0" to over 1.1".  Check out the ReBoxx site for a sampling of the axle lengths.

The current issue of Readers Digest has a Harbor Frieght coupons inside the back cover, including one for $9.99 for a 6" digital caliper.  I have had one of them for more than 5 years now, an occasionally battery replacement, and it has worked very well.  We also bought a bunch at work.  They are not suitable for the QA department, but fine for Mechanical Design Engineering; and MR is less demanding.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

CG04

Hey New Choo Choo,

Where did you find the Southern Pacific Daylight Passenger Cars ???

Clif

ABC

Quote from: CG04 on November 18, 2009, 01:22:02 PM
Hey New Choo Choo,
Where did you find the Southern Pacific Daylight Passenger Cars ???
I would guess he found them on eBay (or something similar) since he does not know the manufacturer.

Len

If the cars are IHC, the wheels are 31in. Most other manufacturers use 36in wheels.

If you trim off the brake shoes, Intermountan 36in metal wheels work okay in IHC cars.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

New ChooChoo

Hi all,
   Yes I did find the SP Daylight cars on Ebay. Nothing on any of the cars to suggest the manufacturer. They came with plastic/metal wheel sets.
  Also you have to be very careful on Ebay. I also bought a SP Daylight engine. It is by Lionel and came in a nice box. HOWEVER, when I opened the box, there was a GS4 WESTERN PACIFIC black engine in it. Not the colorful SP Daylight I bought!! Runs like junk! Broken steps. Advertised as the colorful Daylight in a matching box!  Turning that seller into Ebay.

I'll try the 36" wheel sets and see how they work out.