spectrum 2-8-0 / tender derails

Started by tgobbi, April 16, 2007, 11:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgobbi

Just got my 15th Spectrum consolidation, this time one of the new dcc / sound equipped ones and I'm very, very happy with it. It ran like a Swiss watch without even any break in period and the sound is spectacular.

Only one problem: the front truck of the tender rides up a bit, just enough to derail it. It's probably because of upward pressure either from the drawbar or the connecting wires. I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to tackle correcting it.

Thanx,

Kurt Youngmann
SKP Lines

rogertra

Add a lead weight to the front of the tender under the coal load.  Before I got some self adhesive lead weights, I used some washers, something around one inch I diameter I think

Push as much slack from the harness as you possibly can back inside the tender.

Try searching this and other message boards for "Bachmann tender" as this is a well covered issue.

gwfan

Kurt:

This is the "general discussion" board - I believe you should be on "scales" and HO?? ;)

Chris
Modelling BR (W) late 1950's in 4mm 00 and large scale garden using Bachmann and LGB 1:20.3/ 1:22

THB-DAVE

Kurt; ream out the holes on the draw bar a little with a dill bit to give it a little play. Just hold the bit in your hand, don't use the drill. I have done this with my Consols and it helps. I also added weights in the tender.

David

Atlantic Central

Kurt,

I too will echo this chorus. Add weight to the tender. The relationship of a tender to a locomotive with a draw bar is different from two freight cars with couplers. This combined with the tenders location in the train (first car) makes is necessary for the tender to have additional weight when compared to a freight car.

If you are running short trains, and if you fiddle with the wires enough, it will work without the weight. But, with longer trains the weight will be especially important when backing up, and, it solves the wire problem.

I weight all my Bachmann tenders before I ever put them on the layout. I add about 2 oz to the Consolidation tenders bringing them to about 6 oz total. I use a formula that is about double the NMRA weight for a similar length freight car, and my freight cars are weighted about 10% under the NMRA Recommended Practice.

Higher tender weights are also helpful if you double head your steam locos (which I do a lot). Even two identical locos will run at slightly different speeds and all that stress is on the tender of the lead loco.

No offense to Bachmann, I love their stuff, but other manufacturers have reconized this and many tenders on other brands are heavier. I mention this only to deminstrate that the few of us responding to your question are not the only ones who support this position/solution.

Sheldon

tgobbi

Interesting that two of the responses to my post have suggested adding weight to the tender to solve the problem. This had occurred to me but, based on my experience with the Bachmann service department, I didn't do it.

On a couple of occasions when I've had to send steam locos with tenders I'd added weight to back for repairs a note has been included when they returned the locos. The note said that it isn't necessary to add weight!

But I'm going to take the suggestion and add an ounce or two to the 2-8-0 tender and see what happens.

In any event, I thank those of you who have offered help!

Kurt Youngmann
SKP Lines

rogertra

Bachmann may write that added weight in the tender is not required but Bachmann are wrong.  :-)

Bachmann probably test their locos running around a loop of track.  A loop without switches and with the loco running light and not pulling a 16 plus car train.

Atlantic Central

Well said Roger,

16 cars, at 16 cars they MIGHT stay on the track without weight, just try two Consolidations pulling 30 or more. Worse yet backing up with 30 cars.

Kurt, we, the experianced, assure you that a little extra weight is the answer.

Sheldon

topsir2

I too had the same problem with mine. I just kept bending the wires keeping them about even on each side. After playing with the wires adjusting & etc. it has run trouble free pulling 5 passangger cars for at least an hour so far. But I guess a little weight would help it in tracking.

Hoople

Mine is fine.

Of course I have one of the new ones that came from the factorty on the 14th...
-Hoople-

Modeling UP, SP, and D&RGW in colorado between 1930 and 1960.

GIVE US HARRIMAN STEAMERS BACHMANN!

pdlethbridge

In addition to the better tracking will be better contact with the rails electrically. Poor engine performance is usually an electrical thing, but poor tracking is a weight issue. This should solve 2 problems. If any of you have put together a mantua, roundhouse or bowser steam engine, the tenders are (NOTE THIS BACHMANN) always cast metal and very heavy.
note picture of bowser mountain

Stephen Warrington

;D I will join in as well. I have one Bachmann 2-8-0 one of the first spec editions the tender was horriable added about 4 buckshot to it and now it tracks fine and picks up better power. I also did a old IHC 4-8-2 but the Vandy tender took about 8 buckshot to load it down.

Stephen