Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur123

I had just got stuff to start building my N scale Layout,
but I am not sure wheather I should start with matierals
or buy:
- woodland scenics ST1483 Grand Valley™ HO scale Layout Kit
Please reply with your awnsers, Thanks!

skipgear

That depends on you. If you are one who would rather follow instructions to get to an end, then the woodland scenics route is fine. If you want to build something on your own, there are plenty of resources available to help you with that task.

The woodland scenics kit is a nice little roundy round layout but do some searching for other styles of layout that may appeal to you...

Here is a hollow core door layout to show a different direction...

http://www.thevollmerfamily.com/Pennsy/about.html
Tony Hines

Modeling the B&O in Loveland, OH 1947-1950

GlennW

At $500 MSRP, the Grand Valley layout is too expensive. It does cover a 4x8ft area with generous 18" curves.
The problem comes in cutting the HO material down to N scale geometry. For example, you don't need 4" clearance for trains, 2" in Nscale is fine. The 18" curves would allow you to run most N scale equipment. This is before getting any track.

WS does make a Nscale layout that fits a smaller area, but as published includes too many sharp curves unless you want to run 4axle diesels & short 40ft freight cars.

Compare WS prices with a 4x8 sheet of plywood & some blue or pink insulation foam board. Prices should be better.

Franz T

Woodland Scenics makes a "scenery only" kit, marketed for HO but suitable for all scales. The  " Mountain Valley Scenery Kit" (785-928) is a good way to start, since there is some savings over buying the materials separately. Depending on the size of your layout, there may be enough to finish all the scenery. (except trees, of course ;)) Plus the instructions are helpful for a beginner. I used this kit as a starter a few years ago..
Woodland Scenics carries a full range of easy too use products (especially rock molds) that allow a beginner to get good results.