Couple of old steamers being pulled out of the woods; literally.

Started by chucknlead, April 17, 2007, 08:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chucknlead

Two consolidations being pulled out of the woods after sitting for 40+ years. Pics: http://www.wvrailmuseum.com/wvn280-02.html

Pretty cool
Choooooo----------Choooooooo

SteamGene

I'd rather see one operating than five stuffed and mounted!
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

VirginiaCentral

Gene, don't be so pessimistic. Check out the web site. The plan is to restore them to operation!

Jerry
Jerry Kay
Big Sandy & Cumberland Garden Railroad
Virginia Central & New River Railway & Navigation Co.
"I love the smell of coal smoke in the morning!"

jsmvmd

chucknlead

For the "Pessimist" Read on my brotha!

http://www.wvrailmuseum.com/wvn280-01.html

Stephen D. Richards

Quote from: SteamGene on April 17, 2007, 08:22:38 PM
Gene

Gene, just a little FYI.  Those two 2-8-0 now belong to the WV RR Museum and are being restored as we speak.  I became a member in October and as soon as I get back home I am going to help with those restorations!  They also have a Heisler that is literally in pieces that needs restored.  They are going to use the Baldwin Consols for tourist excursions on a regular basis, when they get them finished!  Stephen

SteamGene

I understand.  That was just a general comment.  For instance, I know of four C&) K-4s, most in poor to deplorable shape.  But I bet if you took all of them, one could be restored to steam. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Stephen Warrington

We have a couple of 3 truck shays down here in a Mississippi Swamp I don't know if anyone has tried to pull them out or not. One has a pretty good sized oak tree growing up through the water tender on one of them.

Stephen

traindude109

Cool website! Thanks for the link!

We have an early loco sitting down in the river. They pulled it out once while building a bridge over the river in the 60's, digging for the pilings, but put it back in! How stupid. Plans call to pull it back out someday, but not anytime soon.
Matt

Boulder Creek and Western Railroad (G scale 1:20.3)

Bill Baker

Ahhh, this does my heart good to see the restoration of an old and classic lady. 

Thanks for posting.
Bill

chucknlead

Thanks S.R for your contribution toward those restorations.

I'd like to see some pics of the shays with trees growing up through them! I doubt that they will be resurrected but at least they escaped
the "scrappers torch" ;)

Paul M.

Quote from: SteamGene on April 17, 2007, 08:22:38 PM
Gene

So would I, but I'd rather see 5 stuffed and mounted than 5 left out somewhere to decay ;)

BTW,

While they have been sitting in the woods for the last 30+ years, our goal is to rebuild them and have them running in the next couple of years. Once in running condition, the plan is to lease them to the nearby West Virginia Central Railroad to allow people to see these pieces of history actually running on the rails making money for other museum projects

-Paul
[
www.youtube.com/texaspacific

RAM

It is a shame that more steam locomotives were not saved.  No prr t1s, no NYC 4-6-4s or 4-8-4.  Santa Fe 3460 cut up.  No Santa fe 2-8-2s, 4-8-2s or large 2-10-2s. 
We have the only 2-10-2 saved and it is one of the small 900 class.

Stephen D. Richards

Quote from: SteamGene on April 18, 2007, 03:26:13 PM
I understand.  That was just a general comment.  For instance, I know of four C&) K-4s, most in poor to deplorable shape.  But I bet if you took all of them, one could be restored to steam. 
Gene

Gene, 
   didn't mean to make it sound as if I was correcting you or anything like that, just excited about doing some work on the 2-8-0's.  Just wanted to give you a little info there!  Sorry about that.  You say you know of four K4's!  Where are they at?  Surely some museum would be interested in them.      Stephen

I believe the "Steam" Gene ;D is talking about is at a museum . The sad part is many steam locos have had there fate sealed by museums. A museum NW of Lake Michigan is a perfect example: they have purchased or recieved about 8 steam engines , about six were operational when recieved. I believe thay currently operate a Diesel for their tours. All the steam is dismantled, waiting for" your" donations. I do have faith that at least one of these found in the woods Consolidations will operate again, and will be happy. It takes alot of ffort to teutn to steam and a lot more to maintain .