News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Yard boss issue

Started by JGTrains, November 28, 2009, 08:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JGTrains

Bougt an n-gauge Yard Boss set today - had to reconnect the engine to the tender - ran 3/4 way around the layout and then just stopped!  Now it wont run.  Anything special i should check for?  (Ran another train on track so power/track is fine.)

At a loss here.  I am used to O and S guage.  This is a present for my father-in-law.

Thanks!

ABC

Check the wires between the engine and tender if applicable (they may be disconnected, frayed, or exposed and causing a short). Check to see that the wheels are clean. Check to make sure that nothing is broken/damaged.

JGTrains

everything looks great.  there is continuity between the tender and the engine, etc.  Tracks brand new and fine with other trains....  Voltmeter shows voltage fine....

thanks again for answering!

brokemoto

What is the locomotive that you get in this set?  Is it the USRA 0-6-0?  Bachmann recently upgraded this locomotive, although I do not know if you received  a set that is new enough to have the upgraded locomotive.  One way to tell the difference is to look under the locomotive.  If there are two bronze tabs that extend from under the locomotive next to the post where you connect the drawbar, you have the older issue.  If you will look on the drawbar, if there are two stiff wires on the part facing away from the track, you have the newer issue.  A lack of stiff wires indicates the older issue.

The older issue has a contact that leaves  a bit to be desired as it is an archaic method of constructing a locomotive.  There is a thin wire soldered to a plate from which there are contact wipers.  This could have come unsoldered.  There could also be something getting between contact surfaces and the  motor poles, such as grease.  The factories in China are notorious for overgreasing Bachpersonn products, be they SPECTRUM or Standard Line (what you have is a Standard Line).  I have had to clean up more than a few.  Some of them showed problems similar to yours, although it was more intermittent contact than totally disrupted.

Since you have experience, I am assuming that had this steam locomotive shown a smoking feature that you were unaware that it had, you would have posted this fact.  Older B-mann three pole motors were well known for the latter feature, even those in the diseasels.  Some of the three poles in the later issues were not that bad. 

On the whole, this thing was not that bad, considering what it was.  While B-mann's recent upgrades to this were decided improvements, there is still more that they could do.  One thing would be to upgrade the tenders to the SPECTRUM all wheels live needlepoint axle contact.  The SPECTRUM tenders are available separately, both the slope back and USRA Switcher tenders.  Both have all wheels live.  One thing that swapping the tenders helps is the pulling power, contact is the other.  It is not,  however a simple swap out.  You must fashion a new drawbar and run wires between locomotive and tender.

B-personn is very good about honouring its warranties.  If you send back the thing, they will probably replace it with their upgraded version.  If they do that, you may have to bend in the stiff wires a bit to assure that they are making the best possible contact with the contact post on the locomotive.  Take care when you do this, lest you break the solder joint on the drawbar.  You might want to consider gripping up on the wires with a small to average sized pair of needlenosed pliers ahead of the solder joints before bending.  This is also a problem that plagues the SPECTRUM drawbars, but they do not have the worry of the soldered joint.  The drawbar on the USRA 0-6-0 appears to be an economy version of the SPECTRUM drawbar.

One more thing about this, it requires EXTENSIVE break-in.  Spend the time to break it in, and you will be surprised at how well it creeps, just as a switcher should.  Bachmann has had gearing down for some time.  The SPECTRUM 2-8-0 is one of the best N scale steam locomotives out there.  It is an excellent creeper and all of that without a flywheel.  Bachpersonn has yet to equal it with any subsequent N scale steam releases, although the USRA heavy 4-8-2 does come close.

the Bach-man

Dear JG,
It is possible that the loco is at fault. Please call service tomorrow to arrange for a replacement if necessary.
Thanks!
the Bach-man

JGTrains

Thanks for the responses.  Called support today.  after discussing the issue, they recommended i send it in for repair, but could not guarantee by Christmas - which is a problem since this was to be a gift.  Will call Hobbytown USA first to see if they can exchange or not.  If not - will be sending to Bachmann for repair.

Thanks again!

PS - is the 0-6-0, but has the stiff wires soldered to the drawbar.....

brokemoto

You have the upgraded version.  Since you have tested for continuity between the tender and locomotive and found it, there is no pick up problem there. 

If you look at the front tender truck, the only live truck on it, you will see a rather curiously constructed electrically live truck.  The contact is usually reliable wheels-to-wipers, but sometimes the wipers do not make the best contact with the drawbar.  You can remedy this by bending up the contact tabs.  That frequently  gives the tender a rather rakish cant, but it improves the reliability.

The construction of that live truck creates a tremendous amount of drag on the locomotive and severely compromises its pulling power.  Substituting the SPECTRUM tender renders a marked improvement in the pulling power.  Sadly, the swap out is not simple, but it is not difficult, either.  It requires a minimum of work.

Still, if it is a gift, I would send it back to Bachpersonn, although, as they already told you, it probably will not be back by Christmas.   If the hobby store has the same locomotive, alone, perhaps they will give you the locomotive and send back the defective one in its box.

This is not a bad locomotive.  Still, upgrading that tender would go a long way toward improving its performance.  I can do the upgrade myself, but some think that they can not.  Then, there is the matter of voiding the warranty.