News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track ???

Started by Whistlestop24, November 29, 2009, 08:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whistlestop24

Thanks for this message board..  One can learn a lot from those who have already built they're lay outs..  Is their such a thing, in "G" gauge, as an inside track and an outside track ???  The Engine, Cars and the electronics, I'll bring in doors after I'm done with them.  But the track, I planned to keep outside all year..  I live in southern  Pennsylvania. Can this be done ???

mudhen

Sure, why not . I live 50 miles north of Toronto and the track has been out in the backyard for 3 years now. It's no worse for wear.

the Bach-man

Dar Whistlestop,
The track in our sets is Inside track. It will rust quickly if used outside.
I use Aristo Craft track on my outdoor layout.
Have fun !
the Bach-man

Cascade Northern

It depends on what type of track you have.  If you have Bachmann track, then it is an indoor only track as it is tubular steel and will rust.  Brass, Stainless Steel, Aluminum, Nickle Silver are okay to be left outside.

Whistlestop24

Went to the Aristocraft web site.  For what I want to do, I 'll probably be spending about $2000.00 in track alone. And thats not including switches. What holds up the best, stainless or brass track ???  And when you have a long run lay out, how many electrical contacts, from transformer to track, do you need ???   Is their any books I could get for ideas and how to information ???   Bach Man, I'm a Fire Fighter, working a 36 hour shift. ( I wrote to you Sunday Night )  I'll be getting off Tuesday morning. I'll let you know how I make out with the pencel in the smoke stack tip works out for me...  Thanks for all the information everyone has givin me...

calenelson

Depending on how you plan to power your Empire could make a difference in what type of track you  use.  Brass, Stainless and Aluminum are all viable options.

There are a few good books avail, try Amazon!

Garden Railroading: Getting Started in the Hobby- K Johnson

and

Getting Started in Garden Railroading: Build the Railroad of Your Dreams... in Your Own Backyard-A. Miller

Garden Railways Magazine is another good source!
http://www.trains.com/grw/default.aspx

some other Train Forums to look into are:

http://www.largescalecentral.com/

http://www.mylargescale.com/Default.aspx

I'd encourage you to do some serious research and set some realistic goals to get started...an Informed consumer is a powerful force to be reckoned with!

good luck!

cale-former Engineer/EMT, now FT Dad!

Loco Bill

Another thing,  It is best to buy track from a discount hobby store.  Robby at Rld Hobbies is totally helpful to new guys.  His advice is not only expert but he beats the big stores price as well.  Go to Rldhobbies.com  and get the toll free number and call him.   

the big discount stores are Trainworld, and St Aubins station, both have low prices but are not as helpful as Robby. 

All three have Ads in Garden Railways magazine, If you don'y have a copy get one.

Welcome to the hobby and have fun with you trans! 
Loco Bill,
Roundhouse Foreman
Missouri Western Railway

Unnofficial Historian of Bachmann Large Scale Products